Corsair Community

2 pairs of TWIN2X2048-6400PRO G (Boot Problem)

Laizer

I have an Abit Fatal1ty AN9-32X SLI motherboard that I upgraded with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0Ghz CPU. I also tried to install 4GB of

CM2x2X1024-6400 Pro G Memory at the same time. I can get the system to run with 3GB of Ram but it will not boot when I try to install all 4GB.

I have swaped the memory around thinking I might have a bad memory stick even though they are brand new. Nothing changed. The last Memory slot will not run the 4th GB. of Corsair..although it will run with a 2GB Module of R-Data Memory in the fourth slot...????? If you have any ideas I would appreciate the help

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

The issue is the memory controller and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This issue is across the board with both Nvidia and Intel chipset based boards, DDR, DDR2 and DDR3.

Keep in mind that often issues arise in the longer term. The issues seldom damage the DRAM. They damage the on motherboard memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population. Those who want to be secure in their system either purchase a single kit of the DRAM capacity that the four singles have or they move to a higher bandwidth DRAM and drop the bandwidth, which is what RAM GUY is advising. I also advise it as I have personally seen the issues that can and often do arise with a four DRAM slot population running at the full speed of a single kit speed.

You are now informed as to the possible issues that can and often do arise when you run a system with two kits of DRAM as fast as a single kit. Also, keep in mind, that there is no support from the motherboard manufacturers for a full bore population of four DRAM slots.

You also must set your Command Rate to 2T when you populate all four DRAM slots with that AMD64 processor.

Memory booted fine 1 GB at a time in the #1 slot...except for one module..

It Froze and would not boot...therefore I conclude I have one bad module that I need to RMA...thanks for your reply.

I did this after setting the DDR Rate and voltage settings as the RAM GUY suggested and nothing changed it still would not boot and the beep code indicated a RAM problem. Could not run mem test as the sytem would not boot with a bad Module in it. I've seen this problem before with older RAM Modules. Never expected it to happen with a new part. One other thing the memory is rated to run at 800 MHz Not 667 and this motherboard can handle 8GB of ram @ 800 MHz and I have a 2GB R-Data Module is running now in place of the bad Corsair Module in the number 4 slot at 800MHz.

Well thanks------ Laizer

MOne other thing the memory is rated to run at 800 MHz Not 667 and this motherboard can handle 8GB of ram @ 800 MHz and I have a 2GB R-Data Module is running now in place of the bad Corsair Module in the number 4 slot at 800MHz.

Memory

* 4 X 240-pin DIMM sockets support max. memory capacity 8GB

* Supports Dual channel DDR2 800/667/533 Un-buffered ECC / Non-ECC memory

The support is for 8GB maximum and a maximum of 800Mhz. Nowhere will you see the support of 800Mhz DRAM with all four DRAM slots populated running at 800MHz.

I can see you did not research the thread. That's fine. Good luck with your board and DRAM running at four DRAM slots populated with the full boar of a two DRAM slot population. You may be lucky and get away with it but the bad stick shows to me that you will find issues that are longer term, degenerative and can lead to the CPU memory controller becoming wonky. If you think that the additional bandwidth which is mostly theoretical is worth the possibility, knock yourself out.

I admit I don't know everything about PC's I just assumed that when a memory module is rated for 800MHz and the Motherboard is rated to handle 800Mhz there should not be a problem...I feel I misunderstood you some how..

no offense intended...please explain in simple terms what you mean..I am a disabled vet and I am slow on the uptake sometimes....Laizer

I admit I don't know everything about PC's I just assumed that when a memory module is rated for 800MHz and the Motherboard is rated to handle 800Mhz there should not be a problem...I feel I misunderstood you some how..

no offense intended...please explain in simple terms what you mean..I am a disabled vet and I am slow on the uptake sometimes....Laizer

No problem. The motherboards have four DRAM slots. They run in pairs in Dual Channel Mode which means that the data can transfer two bits at a time both ways. This is with a single "Kit" of Dual Channel. The motherboards memory controllers are optimized to run with the full speed of the ratio between the Memory Controller and the DRAM. DRAM = 800Mhz and the Memory Controller = 800Mhz. One 64bit wide stick X 2 = 128bit Wide Dual Channel.

When you add a second "Kit" keep in mind that you now have two "Kits" of 800Mhz DRAM. You are thinking that this is the same as a four stick "Kit". The motherboard memory controller (Northbridge/MCH) does not respond the same with a four DRAM slot population as it does with a two DRAM slot population. It can not access, load and request with a four DRAM slot population as fast as it can with a two DRAM slot population.

If you want to run that board with the full speed of the DRAM, then I advise you to purchase a single 800Mhz kit to run with.

The newest chipsets have a better optimized memory controller which can accept the higher density at the full speed of the DRAM in a four slot configuration, but that is X48 and P45.

Please re-read that link I gave you. Read it a few times to understand it as it will give you much needed advice and caveats so that if you force the issue, you can, quite possibly, end up with a damaged memory controller on your motherboard or damaged DRAM or both.

I choose to go with a two DRAM slot population rather than a four DRAM slot population so I do not end up with these issues. I build no systems with four DRAM slot populations unless someone demands it and then I drop the DRAM bandwidth when I do. I am just a simple member here, but am a systems integrator and go through many builds.

Good luck with whatever route you choose.

I decided to take your advice and just install the one 2GB kit @ 800MHz.

I moved the memory into slots 3 and 4 away from the cpu cooler for better air flow..the stock AMD Cooler for the 6000+ is massive and the RAM was right up against it. I set the timmings at 5-5-5-12 and voltage is running at 1.85v The TRFC settings are 127.5 NS. I guess I will just use the other 2GB in the future on another system...thanks again for your help...Gary

Archived