Corsair Community

HX620 Whining

Metrocall

Alright I have the HX620 and a GTX 280 and have noticed that whenever the card is in 3d mode and I am getting 500+ fps the PSU emits this horrible whining noise.

I used to believe it was the card but have sense learned it was actually the power supply that was making the noise. I have tried this my GTX 260 as well, same issue. I have also been through 3 different GTX 280's(BFG issue) and every single one made that noise.

I went ahead and tried the combo in a friends computer and produced the exact same result. I have also tried with his Antec 650w and the noise disappeared. I have tried with all different combinations of cords and modular spots.

I am wondering if these is something wrong with the power supply, as there should be enough power for the cards, or is this just something that happens with this power supply.

Thanks

I was just about to post an original "whining" thread when I saw this one.

I have a brand new HX-620 that whines whenever I'm in a menu screen with high FPS as well. My videocard is an ASUS EAH4850 TOP. I know the high pitch whine is coming from the PSU by listening to the PSU case with a stethoscope.

I'm seeing a lot threads popping up on google searches for the HX-620. What gives? Is there a manufacturing defect in the coils in the latest batch? Should we send them back to the reseller for an exchange?

• Corsair Employees
Do both of you still have the same problems if you enable Vsync in your 3D applications? If the individual application does not have a Vsync setting, then you should be able to force Vsync with any 3D application with your video cards drivers settings.

Vsync does help yes because the fps never go above 60, but it forces you to lower other settings to keep the game at 60/45 fps and playable. I have personally never seen any benefit from vysnc and I find it makes the game "jerky". The other problem with that is if you play newer games, Crysis(Warhead)/Stalker than vysnc just really isn't an option for even a remotely playable experience.

It does seem like though this a norm for this power supply as I tried the same friends 4870 and as rafa12 mentioned with his 4850. I can't imagine this PSU can't handle a 4850.

• Corsair Employees

We can definitely try replacing the PSU for you, however if Vsync is making a difference, then I would contact the video card manufacturer and get their take on it. The PSU obviously does not know what video settings you have configured, it delivers 12v to your video card regardless of how you are using the system. The video card then regulates that voltage so that it only uses what is needed, the motherboard regulates the voltage being sent to the actual PCIE slot that the card is installed in.

If you would like to have us replace the unit for you, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

FYI we have not been able to duplicate this issue in our lab, can you all tell me the exact make and model of the cards that you have, along with the Manufacturer (ATI, EVGA, Sapphire, PowerColor etc.)?

Ok, since I last wrote a few days ago, I have switched out the Asus EAH4850 for another card. Mine had high temp issues. The new one is fine. But, I still have the same whining with certain menus (crysis). I have not tried the v-sync option for the reasons stated in metrocall's last email. I guess the question really is does this occur in the majority of HX-620's or is it a relatively unique problem? If it is uncommon, I think we deserve to have one that doesn't make that terrible sound. Is that reasonable?

• Corsair Employees
I have not seen this problem so no it is not common, but most cases involving this type of issue have been related to some other cause IE APC or Battery Back issue or configuration issue, and as I have stated previously we have no problem replacing the PSU but for the record I have only ever seen one HX620 that was actually bad and it would not post the system.

Archived