Corsair Community

p4c800-e duluxe & p4 3.4e prescott

raw0001

Hi there, I stumbled across this message board, and it seems like there is a lot of knowledge and experience floating around...I would appreciate it greatly if someone could throw some of it this way. I just picked up an asus p4c800-e duluxe with the 3.4e processor. I am still collecting components, and i am trying to decide on the memory. Some of the applications that i work with are somewhat memory intensive, and although 1gb has worked fine up to now in my current system, i was looking at 2gb for this new computer. I was looking for a suggestion on the memory (1 x 2gb, 2 x 1gb, or 4 x 512mb). Also i didn't know which model would provide the most stable environment with no overclocking. Any feedback on the 3.4e prescott/p4c800-e duluxe/corsair-?? combo? Also, my normal hardware vendor is not a corsair reseller. Does anyone have any suggestions on who to buy from? Thanks a lot, Robert

Hello! Much like Robert, for me, an Asus P4C800-E Deluxe is on order with the exception of a P4/3c ("c" version instead of Robert's "e") CPU. I appreciated Robert's question about the 2 Gb. Actually, I've been considering 4 Gbs of RAM! I know what you must be thinking, RAM Guy -> :roll: I'm really not into computer games. My new PC will primarily be focused toward video and graphics. Basically, I'd like a machine that'll work well with recordings from broadcast TV as well as editing. Given that today's DVD-/+R is 4.7 per side, I figured that my RAM would collect the real-time information until the hard drive catches up. And soon to follow, double layered recordable DVDs are expected by the end of this year. Meanwhile, a consideration is given for the upcoming Blue-ray technology. Sure, this stuff is expected to be better, but along comes with it the information that's required in order for it to [I]be[/I] better. My questions are as follows: 1. I don't mind overkill if this is so. After all, my new Asus will have this capability. However, will more capacity of 4 Gb affect another area? In other words, will a higher capacity be slower? 2. If the whole capacity were on one stick instead of two, aside from expense, would having everything on one stick be better than the equal quantity in two sticks? 3. I've been hearing a lot of talk about successful overclocking of the Corsair memory and I'm impressed. Will I still be impressed if I don't overclock? 4. Did they invent the right one for me? :laughing: Which one is it? Thank you. Mike

• Corsair Employees
1. I don't mind overkill if this is so. After all, my new Asus will have this capability. However, will more capacity of 4 Gb affect another area? In other words, will a higher capacity be slower? Answer: With the O.S/'s that are available today I would not suggest more than 2.0 Gig of Ram. WinXP will not cache more than 2.0 Gig of memory to programs, so it might be a waste! 2. If the whole capacity were on one stick instead of two, aside from expense, would having everything on one stick be better than the equal quantity in two sticks? Answer: Yes less modules is less loading on the chipset and will allow the chipset to be more efficient! 3. I've been hearing a lot of talk about successful overclocking of the Corsair memory and I'm impressed. Will I still be impressed if I don't overclock? Answer: I think so! One thing; I know of no one else that host's a forum like we do to help with questions! In addition, there is no one that does the level of testing that we do with MB's for compatibility. Not to mention all of our modules are tested on a MB at the rated speed before they leave our factory! If you should have a problem or a module that will not run at the rated speed on an approved platform we will replace it! 4. Did they invent the right one for me? Which one is it? Answer: I would suggest Twinx2048-3200 and I think you will be happy!

RAM GUY: "One thing; I know of no one else that host's a forum like we do to help with questions!" You took the words right outta my mouth! Between outside reviews of the Corsair product and in individual help here like yours, that's reason enough for anyone to have confidence. It's not like we're given a chart of select few to make a mind boggling decision. Very important; When it works for the customer and he's happy, he'll be back. Wouldn't it have been a shame for people to buy excellent products, only of the wrong application? It's like buying an extra large shirt for a small guy. It wouldn't fit right and he'd look silly. And then, even if it were his mistake, he'd still blame the item. It seems like your company wants just that, a good fit. That's the way it should be. It's good all around . . . no hastles on either side. I'll follow your instructions, they make sense. You've saved me some trouble. I'm happy already! Thanks so much! ;): Mike A. Brooklyn, NY

• 3 weeks later...

Archived