Corsair Community

Memtest stability?

kuailan

I just have a question is 2 passes or 3 passes in memtest good enough? I have noticed "guru" Derek always recommend people to at least do 2 passes. How about if the memory fail after the 5 cycle? Does this consider stable or not? I have recently test my memory at a certain high speed...thought they were stable, but when I try to let it run for at least 10 cycle, eventually it fail at the 5th cycle. I was happy at first...normally once it passes 3 cycle, it will be stable there after.

I just have a question is 2 passes or 3 passes in memtest good enough? I have noticed "guru" Derek always recommend people to at least do 2 passes. How about if the memory fail after the 5 cycle? Does this consider stable or not? I have recently test my memory at a certain high speed...thought they were stable, but when I try to let it run for at least 10 cycle, eventually it fail at the 5th cycle. I was happy at first...normally once it passes 3 cycle, it will be stable there after.

If memory fails after the 5 cycle, then I would look to external issues. Memory is passive, if the cells can hold information, move and store information and allow information to be retrieved, then how can it work by choice? The reason for two passes, and not one pass is to ensure that there is not an anomaly. If you want to test for days, go ahead. If you find issues that repeat in the long term, RMA if you wish, Corsair will not argue, but the issue is very likely one of cache, subsystem, chipset, etc. and not DRAM.

If you are not happy, RMA. The DRAM is lifetime warranted. Corsair wants you to be happy. If you RMA and the issue repeats, then you can look to the mainboard or other external reasons to the longer term instability.

How many sticks are you running with? What kind of overclock? Voltages?

If memory fails after the 5 cycle, then I would look to external issues. Memory is passive, if the cells can hold information, move and store information and allow information to be retrieved, then how can it work by choice? The reason for two passes, and not one pass is to ensure that there is not an anomaly. If you want to test for days, go ahead. If you find issues that repeat in the long term, RMA if you wish, Corsair will not argue, but the issue is very likely one of cache, subsystem, chipset, etc. and not DRAM.

If you are not happy, RMA. The DRAM is lifetime warranted. Corsair wants you to be happy. If you RMA and the issue repeats, then you can look to the mainboard or other external reasons to the longer term instability.

How many sticks are you running with? What kind of overclock? Voltages?

Derek,

dont get it wrong....I am quite happy with my RAM...it's just i am trying to push my RAM to its limit. I am just trying to see if it can go up to 1150 or more...There is a time when I thought it finally can when I update my BIOS, but unfortunately it failed after 5 cycle. Also my RAM comes with the Dominator Fan. My case is the COSMOS S with 3 top fans, 1 bottom, and 1 back, and 1 HDD (therefore I think cooling is pretty much sufficient). Anyway, thanks for your input....you maybe right...it may not be the RAM, so I will try playing with other Voltages (such as bumping the NB, FSB..SB..etc..)

As reference to your other post where you speak of errors with USB legacy and seem to wish to test DRAM with that ASUS board and legacy USB enabled. Be certain to disable Legacy USB when testing the DRAM as it can give a false positive of error. There is no error, just a cache retrieval of already populated data (USB in DOS Mode). This is not a real error.

Archived