Corsair Community

Randomly not booting - TW3X2G1333C9DHX on Asus P5E3

BouhPwet

Hey,

I've got a new configuration with basically an ASUS P5E3 Deluxe (X38 chipset) but supporting DDR3, with 2 * 2 GB of Corsair Ram.

Now, the system runs perfectly stable, but:

When I try to set the ram to 1333 (instead of the default 1066), with all the correct settings (voltage to 1.60 and timings manually set to 9-9-9-24, others left to Auto), randomly, the PC won't boot and say something along the lines of

"Overclocking failed, press F1 to enter setup (...)"

As I said, once it boots, it's perfectly stable...

Many thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Download memtest from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Download CPU-z from

Please Enter your BIOS, load setup defaults, save setup defaults and set to these values, save and shut down.

[b]AI Tweaker[/b]

[b]Configure System Performance Settings[/b]Ai Overclock Tuner = Manual
    eXtreme Memory Profile = Disabled
CPU Ratio Setting = 9
FSB Strap to Northbridge = 333
FSB = 333
DRAM Timing Control = Manual
DRAM Frequency = DDR3-1333
DRAM Command Rate = 2N
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A = Auto
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B = Auto
DRAM Timing Control = Manual
CAS# Latency =  9
RAS# to CAS# Delay = 9
RAS# PRE Time = 9
RAS# ACT Time = 24
All Else to Auto
DRAM Static Read Control = Enabled
DRAM Dynamic Write Control = Disabled
Transaction Booster = Disabled

CPU Voltage = Auto
CPU PLL Voltage = Auto
FSB Termination Voltage = 1.25v
DRAM Voltage = 1.7v
NB Voltage = 1.45v
SB Voltage = Auto
Clock Over-Charging Voltage = Auto
Load Line Calibration = Disabled
CPU GTL Voltage Reference = 67%
NB GTL Voltage Reference: 63%
CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled

Insert a single stick in the slot closest to the CPU. Run Memtest for two full passes. Shut down. Remove the stick and replace it with the second stick. Retest. Then insert a stick in slot one and slot three. Retest. If stable enter Windows and post screenshots of CPU-z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

Results?

DerekT,

Spent sometime finishing loading all the current drivers for every piece of hardware including the new driver set for my Sappire Radeon 4870 512MB Toxic, before checking your response. I had run memtest86+ on both sticks of memory. All passed. I set all defaults under Ai Tweaker and only changed DRAM Frequency to 1333MHz, DRAM Control to 9-9-9-24 and finally the DRAM voltage to 1.6. I am now booting with correct settings no issues.

Thanks for your response!! :):

DerekT,

Is there a utility to check cpu performance. Is cpuz utility a performance enhancing tool to help improve cpu/chipset performance? In other words I would like to know how my machine is performing before attempting any changes. If I load cpuz and want to unistall to get back to original operation can this be done by simply uninstalling cpuz?

Thanks Again!!

DerekT,

Is there a utility to check cpu performance. Is cpuz utility a performance enhancing tool to help improve cpu/chipset performance? In other words I would like to know how my machine is performing before attempting any changes. If I load cpuz and want to unistall to get back to original operation can this be done by simply uninstalling cpuz?

Thanks Again!!

CPU-z gives you a readout of your CPU. It is simply a reporting tool. It will not make any changes to your system one way or the other. I advise against using windows based tweakers and not the BIOS. Any issues related to the BIOS and/or tweaking tools will need to be addressed at your motherboard company level.

DerekT,

I did not want to tweek. But thanks for the CPU Dispaly Tool. I Just started using PassMark PerformanceTest 6.1). Here are the results. I am still getting an occasional boot fail though the performance looks very good? I recently discovered a Smart Event reported by my on board raid controller. The drive was making a banging noise. I've now cloned the drive and taken out of service. This may have been another issue causing boot fails. Since the drive replacement PassMark Score has gone up several points. :):

CPU-z gives you a readout of your CPU. It is simply a reporting tool. It will not make any changes to your system one way or the other. I advise against using windows based tweakers and not the BIOS. Any issues related to the BIOS and/or tweaking tools will need to be addressed at your motherboard company level.

1487649732_JeffPCPerformancePasMarkRating2.thumb.gif.66120e344cb9a3f237504be30ebd049e.gif

1815381664_JeffPCPerformancePasMarkRating2.thumb.jpg.33ff288b157f2aa6f1747f0976874ffb.jpg

Archived