Corsair Community

msi p45 diamond - corsair ram = problems

hatebreeder

My vista 64bit install went fine but i noticed by default my ram was running at 1067 instead of 1333 at post screen. I flashed the bios to v1.4 and adjusted the timings and voltage in my bios to 9-9-9-24 1.8v. with the fsb/dram ratio @ 1:2.00 and 2t timings. the ram clocked at 1333 in my post screen. however. i started getting blue screens (win32k.sys + 0x00000007f) I went back to the default memory speed and still doesn't work. After flashing my bios i get these errors. I called corsair tech and explained to them what was going on and they said that that particular ram has known issues. I advised that they're memory configurator lists that as compatible, they thought it had already been removed from being suggested. They set me up with an RMA for TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX and said that would fix the problem. I haven't received the ram yet but we will see.

Is anyone else running this ram that i am RMA'ing up to? Its stupid that a high end board like this has so many problems with ram.

im worried about having ongoing issues with stability with my new system, speicifically still having issues with the ram after the RMA - any suggestions,comments,feedback?

I have the MSI 45 diamond board . i just upgraded to that board as well as the q9550 intel quad chip. I am running one of the recommended ram kits ( corsair 2x2gig tw3x4g16009hx )

My vista 64bit install went fine but i noticed by default my ram was running at 1067 instead of 1333 at post screen. I flashed the bios to v1.4 and adjusted the timings and voltage in my bios to 9-9-9-24 1.8v. with the fsb/dram ratio @ 1:2.00 and 2t timings. the ram clocked at 1333 in my post screen. however. i started getting blue screens (win32k.sys + 0x00000007f) I went back to the default memory speed and still doesn't work. After flashing my bios i get these errors. I called corsair tech and explained to them what was going on and they said that that particular ram has known issues. I advised that they're memory configurator lists that as compatible, they thought it had already been removed from being suggested. They set me up with an RMA for TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX and said that would fix the problem. I haven't received the ram yet but we will see.

Is anyone else running this ram that i am RMA'ing up to? Its stupid that a high end board like this has so many problems with ram.

im worried about having ongoing issues with stability with my new system, speicifically still having issues with the ram after the RMA - any suggestions,comments,feedback?

The issue is that your DRAM and CPU FSB have a ratio that must equal at least 1:1. Your CPU FSB is a Quad Pumped 333Mhz which = 333 x = 1333Mhz. But you want 1600Mhz for your DRAM. You must increase the FSB of your processor to 400Mhz (400 X 4 = 1600Mhz) to attain the 1:1 ratio for 1600Mhz DRAM. It is not the board. It is the Intel FSB:DRAM specification and all mainboards with Intel chipsets must follow this specification.

Did you set to 400Mhz FSB and 1600Mhz with the DRAM? Who did you speak with at Corsair? I can not see that DRAM having issues. I have used it with more than a few builds. I am a systems integrator who comes here to help but am not affiliated with Corsair.

This is the first i've head of this... Just for the record i don't want to run the ram at 1600mhz? i just want my system to run reliably at 1333mhz - the only way to get the ram to run at 1333 is to change the dram ratio and manually set the timings and voltage.

I'll find the settings for your board. I stay away from MSI boards like the plague so I don't have all that much experience with them. Let me find the settings and get back to you. You need to install your OS freshly as very likely you have corrupted files from the previous setup.

Download memtest from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk. Enter your BIOS. Load Setup Defaults. Save Setup Defaults and Enter these settings:

Advanced BIOS Features

Cell Menu

DOT Control = Disabled
Intel EIST = Enabled
Adjust CPU FSB Frequency = 333MHz (1333Mhz QDR)
Adjust CPU Ratio = 8

Advanced DRAM Configuration = Manual
Memory Clock = 1333
Memory Timings = Manual
Configure DRAM Timing by SPD = Disabled 
DRAM CAS# Latency (tCL) = 9
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) = 9
DRAM RAS# Precharge (tRP) = 9
DRAM RAS# Active to Precharge (tRAS) = 24
DRAM tRFC = 58
DRAM tWR: Auto
DRAM tWTR = Auto
DRAM tRRD = Auto
DRAM tRTP = Auto
FSB/Memory Ratio = 1:2
Adjust PCI-e Frequency = 100Mhz
Adjust PCI Frequency = 33Mhz
Auto Disable DIMM/PCI Frequency = Enabled
CPU Voltage = Auto
Spread Spectrum = Enabled
Memory Voltage = 1.7v 
NB Voltage = Auto
SB Voltage = Auto
FSB VTT Voltage = Auto

For a mild overclock and 1600Mhz DRAM

Advanced BIOS Features

Cell Menu

DOT Control = Disabled
Intel EIST = Enabled
Adjust CPU FSB Frequency = 400MHz (1600Mhz QDR)
Adjust CPU Ratio = 8

Advanced DRAM Configuration = Manual
Memory Clock = 1600
Memory Timings = Manual
Configure DRAM Timing by SPD = Disabled 
DRAM CAS# Latency (tCL) = 9
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) = 9
DRAM RAS# Precharge (tRP) = 9
DRAM RAS# Active to Precharge (tRAS) = 24
DRAM tRFC = 58
DRAM tWR: Auto
DRAM tWTR = Auto
DRAM tRRD = Auto
DRAM tRTP = Auto
FSB/Memory Ratio = 1:2
Command Rate = 2T
Adjust PCI-e Frequency = 100Mhz
Adjust PCI Frequency = 33Mhz
Auto Disable DIMM/PCI Frequency = Enabled
CPU Voltage = Auto
Spread Spectrum = Disabled
Memory Voltage = 1.8v 
NB Voltage = Auto
SB Voltage = Auto
FSB VTT Voltage = Auto

Shut your system down, insert a single stick in Slot 1 (Closest to the CPU) and run Memtest for two full passes, then (If Stable), remove the first stick and insert the second stick in Slot 1. Repeat the Memtest. Then insert a single stick in slot 3. Repeat memtest. Finally insert one stick in Slot 1 and the second stick in Slot 3. Repeat the Memtest.

Results?

thanks so much. i just want to make sure i am getting proper ram - i already have memtest burnt and ready to go. I will do this when i get home tonight and report results tomorrow in AM - by 2 full passes does that mean i have to reboot after each one or just let it keep going until 2 have completed. i think it runs over and over until you stop it. as well, are these fail safe or optimized defaults? also just to make sure. after i format...

go into bios. load optimized defaults... save... go back into bios... and load the settings from above i choose. than shut the system down and follow the mem test instructions. right?

thanks so much. i just want to make sure i am getting proper ram - i already have memtest burnt and ready to go. I will do this when i get home tonight and report results tomorrow in AM - by 2 full passes does that mean i have to reboot after each one or just let it keep going until 2 have completed. i think it runs over and over until you stop it. as well, are these fail safe or optimized defaults? also just to make sure. after i format...

go into bios. load optimized defaults... save... go back into bios... and load the settings from above i choose. than shut the system down and follow the mem test instructions. right?

When you boot to the Memtest CD, the program will start and run ten tests. One full set of ten tests is 1 pass and you will see the pass displayed. Just let it keep going for another full pass to ensure that the first pass is not an anomaly. Then after the second pass, press the Esc. Key and shut the system down to move on to the next stick.

The first set of BIOS settings are pretty basic. The second set are for a light overclock and where I would personally take your hardware to make use of the 1600Mhz DRAM speed. The sticks should work at those settings for your machine.

awesome, thanks alot man, i appreciate it. I just can't see overclocking right now being as i can't even run stable 1333 - i may do it though. keep in mind i am getting different ram RMA'd to me though that is supposedly better.

TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX - this is my RMA ram - is there going to be a huge difference in speed between:

1066 and 1333

1333 and 1600 ?

is it worth the overclock for the preformance boost?

so i went looking through my bios. a couple things, the adjust cpu ratio = is not even an option. alot of the stuff listed isn't an option. or not listed the way its described. maybe i'll just wait until i get the new ram (hopefully in the next 3 days) and if i have problems than i will post here. I appreciate your help immensely. I am going to format once i get the new ram.

Let me ask you this question.

Being as the ram i am using now be default posts at 1066 - do you think the ram they are rma'ing to me will post at 1333 default? or am i going to have to go into the bios and mess with abunch of settings?

I'll find the settings for your board. I stay away from MSI boards like the plague so I don't have all that much experience with them.

which brand board would you recommend? I have a q9550 chip that i want to use. Which board and ram would you suggest for a high end stable system?

so i went looking through my bios. a couple things, the adjust cpu ratio = is not even an option. alot of the stuff listed isn't an option. or not listed the way its described. maybe i'll just wait until i get the new ram (hopefully in the next 3 days) and if i have problems than i will post here. I appreciate your help immensely. I am going to format once i get the new ram.

Let me ask you this question.

Being as the ram i am using now be default posts at 1066 - do you think the ram they are rma'ing to me will post at 1333 default? or am i going to have to go into the bios and mess with abunch of settings?

You will need to manually set the DRAM, timings and voltages. Can you post your entire Cell Menu Settings? I will set them for you then.

I personally like ASUS for boards. If I were buying a DDR3 board today, I personally would go with the P5Q3-Deluxe.

• 3 months later...
I have found this thread when I was looking for solution for my problem. I have MSI p45 diamond and 2 x CM3X2048-1333C9DHX and the systems halts unexpectedly. I was trying to apply the logic in this thread, but failed to enter correct BIOS setting, as I could not find where I can change the memory voltage. Still I tried memtest and on the second module the test halted (not even displaying an error). Any hints?

I gave settings for 1333Mhz and you can see the voltage setting in there. Set the multiplier to 7 rather than 8.

MSI continuously changes their BIOS values with updates and their nomenclature can often change from one version to another. You should be able to find the DRAM voltage though. If you can't, then very likely you need to find someone more advanced in systems setup.

Archived