Corsair Community

TWIN3X2048-1600C7DHX G and Gigabyte EP45T-extreme

rtristelune

Hi,

I am trying to run DDR3 TWIN3X2048-1600C7DHX G at their rated specs with the following settings:

-multiplier 4

-CAS Manual : 7-7-7-20

-VDimm=1,8V (as suggested by specs)

-Performance = Standard

- FSB@400Mhz

However the maximum "memtest86+ stable" speed it can reach is 1520Mhz (FSB@380) !!!!

(FSB can be increased much more than 380Mhz if I choose multiplier 3,2, so the setup is not FSB limited)

I am starting to think my memory modules are defective and that I should RMA them, don't you think there is a pb ?

Thx,

R

Hi,

Thanks but I forgot to give my CPU settings:

Multiplier: 9 (it is a Q9650)

VCore=1,25v (VID is 1,225v)

At this voltage it is rock stable up to 4 Ghz (8 hours Prime 95)

So I think the CPU is not a pb @ 9*400Mhz=3600Mhz.

Anyway, I tried lowering the multiplier but it does not help.

However, since my first message, I tried to set the memory voltage at Vdimm=1,9v (instead of 1,8v initially) and it now works perfectly at FSB@399Mhz (8 hours of Prime 95, 8 hours of memtest 86+), but it won't even boot at FSB@400Mhz.

So I have 2 questions:

1/ I saw 2 different figures regarding the PC12800/CAS7-7-7-20 specifications voltage of my ram: 1,8v (in the specifications pdf) and 1,9v here:

http://www.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=671218

What is the real figure ??

2/ Since my system is totally stable at FSB@399 and does not even boot at FSB@400, I don't think my pb comes from my memory modules (at 1,9v !) but rather from a strap/setting/400Mhz threshold on my motherboard. If you have any idea of what is the pb, please tell me ;)

OK, I won't set it above 1,9v anyway...

Could anyone please tell me how much the specifications voltage is for my memory sticks @ 1600Mhz/CAS 7-7-7-20 because the product spreadsheet and the link to my motherboard compatibility list say different things: 1,8v vs 1,9v !

Also, I still have a pb with FSB@400 and multiplier 4. At FSB@399Mhz (memory @ 1596Mhz/7-7-7-20), my system boots, and it is perfectly stable (memtest86+, Prime 95 during 8 hours) but at FSB@400, it just does not even boot, and the boot error code of my motherboard is "C1" meaning the motherboard is stuck while:

Detect memory

- Auto-detection of DRAM size, type and ECC

My BIOS is F4.

I wonder if it could be linked with some table of settings of my memory sticks which cannot be read for the corresponding FSB or some compatibility issue with the current bios and the sticks :/ ?

• 3 weeks later...
Yes but you will have to have a CPU that will over clock to 1600 FSB to run the memory at DDR1600.

I have a Q9650 CPU which overclocks easily up to 3,8Ghz even without modifying the voltage (with DRAM ratio 3.33).

So everything should be fine with CPU@3,6 Ghz with DRAM ratio 4*400Mhz.

There must be something wrong in the EP45T bios which allows to boot at FSB@399 and prevent to boot at FSB@400...

The memory would be 2 X the clock frequency, what are you setting the CPU Clock frequency to? As I stated the CPU Frequency will have to be 400 IE 4 X = 1600 CPU FSB.

I am trying to set FSB@400 which gives CPU FSB@1600 and RAM@1600 (with x4 ratio) but my MB does not even want to boot with those settings.

It might be a bios/compliance issue with FSB=400, 4x ratio and the RAM since FSB@399 (CPU FSB@1596Mhz, RAM@1596Mhz) is totally stable (Prime 95 and memetest during hours) and since the CPU can be over clocked up to 3,8 Ghz (CPU FSB 1800 Mhz, RAM 1440 with 3.2 x) and is also stable with those settings.

It might be a bios/compliance issue with FSB=400, 4x ratio and the RAM since FSB@399 (CPU FSB@1596Mhz, RAM@1596Mhz) is totally stable (Prime 95 and memetest during hours) and since the CPU can be over clocked up to 3,8 Ghz (CPU FSB 1800 Mhz, RAM 1440 with 3.2 x) and is also stable with those settings.

I think you may be correct as 1Mhz FSB would not fail boot, it would just fail testing if there was too low a voltage.

I would just run a 399FSB/1596 and await BIOS updates.

• 6 months later...
What is the highest stable setting you can get?

And it may just be the CPU you have will not over clock that much.

Highest stable settings are FSB@399Mhz with Memory strap 4.00B which corrsponds to 333 Mhz latch and memory @ 1596 Mhz/1,9V and CPU @ 3591 Mhz/1,225V (stock) and I can run 8h of prime 95 with those settings.

I doubt this has anything to do with the CPU as choosing lower CPU multiplier (7 or 8) does not allow to boot at FSB@400Mhz either.

I think the pb lays in the MCH strap/latch settings when passing over the FSB@400 threshold...something has to be manually configured near the memory latencies or MCH...

PS: The only time I managed to pass over FSB@400 was with strap 4.00A (corresponds to 200Mhz) but then things were totally unstable...As I understand straps, I should be using anything B or D when FSB is over 400 Mhz right ?

I am sorry but that is more then likely just the top end of that system, maybe it will improve on the next BIOS release.

I agree with you about the fact that "maybe they will improve on next bios release" but not about the fact that FSB@399 is the top end of a GA-EP45T-EXTREME MB...

Archived