Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-8500C5D now acting strange? Bad ram?

I recommended this ram to a lot of folks. i had great confidence in it's speed and stability.

Recently I have been getting some strange crashes occurring when there was high load on the computer.

I wanted to rule out the memory first, and decided to run a NVmem test on SLOW

It will start over at ~2612000KB, cycle up to it again and just do that until I abort the test? What should I do?

running these @ 2.1V like suggested. I Don't have another machine, so I'd be down if I had to send these in.

Download memtest from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk. Shut your system down, insert a single stick in Slot 1 (Closest to the CPU) and run Memtest for two full passes, then (If Stable), remove the first stick and insert the second stick in Slot 1. Repeat the Memtest. Then insert a single stick in slot 3. Repeat memtest. Finally insert one stick in Slot 1 and the second stick in Slot 3. Repeat the Memtest.

Results?

I use the ram in 2,4 because those seem to be better on nforce 7 series boards. Does that matter?

I did a test in dual channel 0 errors completed 2 passes... now i'm running the individual sticks, right now 62% on first stick with 0 errors...

When I'm at 3.6 GHZ IBT almost instantly crashes my computer, Prime95 threads fail down to 1 thread in about 2 minutes.

Is there any reason to run 2 passes instead of 1 ? it takes forever.

This is my only machine for gaming (I have a underpowered laptop and a 8 year old file server w/RD RAM) so if have to RMA I'll be down... how does corsair usually handle that?

Two passes ensure that the first one is not an anomaly. I would say that you either have a software issue, or you have an overclock issue. If you have no issues with Memtest and issues with Prime95, then clearly the issue is external to the DRAM.

Download CPU-z from

Download Real Temp from-->

Post a screenshot of Real Temp prior to Prime95 and when Prime95 has been running for twenty minutes. Drop your overclock to 3.2Ghz first though. Those Q6700s are known not to be great on the overclock. What is the Fab/Batch of the chip. Look on the box of the chip and you will see a white sticker. There should be a batch number ie. L807A756.

hmmm...

thought the q6700 was at least as good or better than the q6600

and that simply fewer people bought them because of their price.

my temps are great... very very cold house right now

normaly the CPU is @ ~22* C at idle, 18 now because of the cold weather... and @100% load, they are 45-48*c across the board, right now they sit @ 39*C, again its very cold.

TRUE with 110 cfm fan on it, and a 133 cfm fan just behind it. great airflow.

i bought an OEM processor for tiger, the only thing on the package is

hh80562ph0678mk

i guess i should have written it down off the chip... If i ever take the cooler off I'll let you know what it is.

With the over clock i got an error about 27 minutes into the first pass with both dimm's in.

Clearly if your DRAM passes memtest, the issue is external to the DRAM. Hence, look at your overclock. Very likely you are finding issues where your overclock is not making stability anymore. Degenerative overclock leading to necessary voltage raising requirements, or overclock lowering.

Archived