Corsair Community

CM2X2048-6400C5 (crashes in vista 64 when I use 2 sticks of these)

qfazeem

Hello

I have got Vista 64 bit ultimate windows with service pack 1 and yes, I got the Microsoft Windows6.0-KB929777-v2-x64 patch too for the 4 gb ram problems as you wrote in your posts in this forum, so thats not the problem.

The problem is that my system is ok, have been using it for 6 months now with 2 gb corsair dominator ram (with the BIG heatsinks on it), but sold it a few days ago to get 4 gb ram. I got

2 sticks of : CM2X2048-6400C5 1.80V ver3.1 5-5-5-18 800Mhz

So when I put either stick in the computer and load it up, no prob. The 2 gb sticks each work fine on their own in Vista64 Ultimate, and also fine on XP. But when I put BOTH the sticks in the computer, the machine loads up fine, works in xp, but when Vista 64 loads up I get the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) and system restarts. I went to the corsair official dealer in Pakistan (Galaxy.pk) whom I bought this ram from, they have NO IDEA what to do, they put different types of ram in the computer, 2 gb runs fine, system restarts on Vista64 when they put any corsair 4 gb rams. (Note: 4 gb ram sticks are not available in pakistan at all, so we make do with 2 sticks of 2 gb ram, or 4 sticks of 1 gb ram) but since my Intel DG31PR motherboard only has 2 slots to put the ram there I have to use two sticks of 2gb to make 4 gb.

I searched everywhere on the net, couldnt find a solution. I got that KB929777 patch too and also vista 64bit service pack 1, still same problem, BSOD on boot in vista 64 with the 2 sticks of 2 gb ram loaded.

I saw a post when someone took screen shots of their cpu-z readouts, so here are my screenshots

http://www.fazliazeem.com/ramproblem.jpg

(I took each 2 gb sticks screenshots separately, as windows does not work with both loaded). And note, XP does load with both the sticks, but thats not a solution, xp is a backup for me, I use vista 64 for work.

Any suggestions?

The patch is included in SP1. If it let you apply the patch after you updated to SP1, something is wrong. The problem is most likely Vista-related. It is not a Corsair memory issue. If you go the the Vista 64 forums in the microsoft.com pages, you'll find a ton of frustrations as well as a ton of cures. In most cases, the problem was cured through the use of the proper BIOS settings, as well as the correct BIOS version. From what I read, the newer BIOS was not always the best.

thanks oldgeezer, but that does not solve the problem for me, lets see if someone else knows more about this. I installed the vista 64 service pack AFTER the patch, as the particular microsoft patch did not work for me. I did the service pack installation just as a precaution, my windows update patching is up to date. Will search around some more and post here if i find a solution. Until then, anyone else knows more about this problem?

Nailed it down.

Vista 64 now shows 4 GB Ram.

Heres the procedure:

Update motherboard bios, in my case I have a cheap intel DG31PR board, now heres the catch, BIOS cant be updated through windows. So search online on how to make a nero bootable cd to update bios, on that cd give the path of the boot.img file and make a bootable cdr, then unzipping the bios files to that bootable cd, boot it up in dos, follow instructions and dos commands to update bios, then boot again and insert all the rams you have.

however to make sure vista 64 does not crash i mentioned you need to install either vista64 service pack 1 from microSOFT or the 7777 something patch. If you install sp1 then you don't need the 77777 patch.

thats it. shows ram 4 gb now in vista 64. Shocking really, no one on the net has given ANY logical solution to the 4 gb ram issue in vista 64. The above method is the ONLY method to fix this prob in 90% of computers out there.

peace out. hack the planet.

thats great you solved the problem fazli! will keep this in mind when i update to 64bit

just wanted to tell you though that BIOS is updatable via windows for the DG31PR and almost all other motherboards. its so much more convinient.

heres the windows link for your board bios download

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/T8Clearance.aspx?sType=&agr=&ProductID=2839&DwnldID=15431&url=/15431/eng/PRG3110H.86A.0042.EB.EXE&PrdMap=&strOSs=&OSFullName=&lang=eng

that was the first file i tried, installer kept crashing, most forums also say that the majority of windows bios updates not patching due to the "ahem ahem" piracy issue involved in proprietary software installations. DOS updates always work, so do usb bootable patches, but i dont think formatting a usb to make it boot up using the HP boot software is safe, virus wise. Go for cd bootable patches.

If most new motherboards are like my motherboard, you don't need to make anything bootable. As long as I have a flash drive formatted in FAT32, my BIOS will offer that as an option right from the BIOS flash options. I have four separate BIOS versions on my flash, and I can select any one. Gigabyte says the same can be done with a floppy. I didn't bother with a floppy on this new setup, so I can't speak from experience.

Beware of BIOS flashes done within Windows. Horror stories abound of completely a trashed BIOS from doing it that way.

experiences vary for everyone i guess. i have successfully updated bios for my dg31pr mobo, d945 mobo as well as for my dell vostro 1500. but i can imagine it going completely haywire!

dg31pr is not a great board , i had to get mine changed when firstly it was acting up with one of sticks of ram and then secondly it was getting heated up to ab 100 degree c !!!

what really gets me is that these devices are designed for a cooler climate in the west, and almost no benchmarks or readings exist for a warmer/wetter climate in the east or the south. An average CPU temp of 40 C in the west goes to around 50 C in the east in the summers. And there are more users of hardware in developing countries now, due to the population shift.

Archived