Corsair Community

Asus P5Q Pro and TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX

agent69

I'm running 4 modules of TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX at autodetected settings of 5-5-5-18 1.9v 800Mhz on an Asus P5Q Pro with Bios 1306. System appears to be running stable after 2 days running memtest and Prime95. Is this normal with running 8GB on this board? I've seen several post from the Ram Guy suggesting that 4 modules have to be "bumped" down in speed (e.g. 800 to 667Mhz) and the voltage increased.

It is advised to drop the bandwidth when populating with four DRAM slots. The memory controller can issue errors.

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

The issue is the memory controller and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This issue is across the board with both Nvidia and Intel chipset based boards.

Keep in mind that often issues arise in the longer term. The issues seldom damage the DRAM. They damage the on motherboard memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population. Those who want to be secure in their system either purchase a single kit of the DRAM capacity that the four singles have or they move to a higher bandwidth DRAM and drop the bandwidth. I also advise it as I have personally seen the issues that can and often do arise with a four DRAM slot population running at the full speed of a single kit speed.

If you intend on running the four sticks at the full speed of a kit, then I would advise you to raise the MCH (Memory Controller Hub / Northbridge) to 1.45v on that motherboard. I would not increase the voltage to the DRAM greater than 2.1v which is the maximum warranted voltage for that DRAM.

Also, the P45 chipset is the most forgiving, so if any board can make a four DRAM slot population at the full bore of a two DRAM slot configuration it is the P45 chipset.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

My issue relates to the P5Q SE PLUS, I had initially installed 2 of these kits giving me 8GB, with no issues using near SPD settings 1.8v 5-5-5-15 (not 18 not sure why these settings were used by BIOS by default).

All was well for a few days, running Virtual machines (fairly demanding windows 2003 x64 instances) and playing Crysis with all the setings set to high.

Then performance seemed to drop - I originally assumed that it was the additional apps I had running in my VMs but one day my machine just went blank. Hitting the reset button shutdown the machine, which then powered up for 2 or 3 seconds then powered down, powering up once more with no POST - just a blank screen no beeps nothing.

Removing two sticks from black then yellow slots acheived nothing. I Left the machine to cool, on power up I had enough time to play with the settings until I got a stable 4-4-4-12-2T with a NB voltage of 1.2v but with ony 4GB.

What I am concerned about is why the sudden failure to run with 4 sticks? Is my MB effectively damaged?

I had originally gone through a similar sequence with a P35 MB but did not play with any settings mainly due to lack of research on my part - I managed to return that MB which was actually diagnosed as faulty.

What I am concerned about is why the sudden failure to run with 4 sticks? Is my MB effectively damaged?

Possibly your Northbridge has given out with being set to full two module speed with a four module population.

Did you not read my previous post? Read it and please study it, do not scan it. Your questions will be answered as well as caveats and workarounds are given.

Archived