Corsair Community

Dual Channel & ECC in the Same Package

mdiaeger

I am looking for memory for a motherboard with Intel Chipset 875P. The Computer is a Shuttle XPC model SB75G2. I can find Dual channel, and I can find ECC, but cannot find both. Does it even exist? Don't you have to use Dual Channel if you want to take advantage of the Hyper Threading capabilities of the chipset and the Pentium 4 processor? I will be running SQL 2000 on this box, so I would also like to have ECC. Please enlighten me. I am a bit confused.

You don't have to use 2 channels of RAM to allow the HT in the CPU to be used. They are 2 seperate functions. I am not aware of any PC3200 unbuffered RAM but then, I have never looked for it. Just curious, why do you want ECC? It will slow your system performance from what I have heard. Mike.

[quote name='specmike']You don't have to use 2 channels of RAM to allow the HT in the CPU to be used. They are 2 seperate functions. I am not aware of any PC3200 unbuffered RAM but then, I have never looked for it. Just curious, why do you want ECC? It will slow your system performance from what I have heard. Mike.[/QUOTE] I do believe that it would be correct to Say that corsair pc 3200 modules XMS and others are Unbuffered Memory. As for what mdiaeger is looking for is Dual Channel ECC module Kit. There is Corsair modules that are Twinx Dual Channel Registered. Correct me if I am Wrong but REG RE ram is ECC or should have ECC Here is just a few. TWINX1024RE-3200LL TWINX1024RE-3200LLPT You can find more here at the corsair website link..... [url]http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/xms.html[/url]

I don't know all of the technical spex but ECC and Registered are 2 different things. And, many new boards like my Asus P4C800 and my IC-7 MAX3 both will support ECC but not registered memory. So, as far as I have seen, there is no Corsair that is ECC only. I think I will surf Google and see if I can come up with some specifics. Mike.

[quote name='mdiaeger']I am looking for memory for a motherboard with Intel Chipset 875P. The Computer is a Shuttle XPC model SB75G2. I can find Dual channel, and I can find ECC, but cannot find both. Does it even exist? Don't you have to use Dual Channel if you want to take advantage of the Hyper Threading capabilities of the chipset and the Pentium 4 processor? I will be running SQL 2000 on this box, so I would also like to have ECC. Please enlighten me. I am a bit confused.[/QUOTE] As stated by specmike you do not need to Run dual Channel to Have HT use of the Intel Processors.....but yes it you are looking for higher Band Width and really max out the HT technology then I would suggest going Dual Channel. As for an Intel motherboard that may or may not fit into the Shuttle case with the 875P Chip set I would highly recommend the Asus P4C800-E-Deluxe Model, but this Board does not Support Registered Memory

[quote name='specmike']I don't know all of the technical spex but ECC and Registered are 2 different things. And, many new boards like my Asus P4C800 and my IC-7 MAX3 both will support ECC but not registered memory. So, as far as I have seen, there is no Corsair that is ECC only. I think I will surf Google and see if I can come up with some specifics. Mike.[/QUOTE] ECC stands for Error Checking Correction or something like that and the RE stands for Registered ----- ECC Memory...Correct me if I am wrong.

• Corsair Employees
First thing, ECC is not available at this time from us that would run in this MB. Sorry! If you can find CM72SD512-3200 that would be un-buffered with ECC, and are not available as a Twinx set. However, as far as I know there are no direct resellers selling this part. And dual channel is a function of the chipset not the memory. Only you should use a matched pair of modules in order to run dual channel. Our Twinx sets are 2 modules that come from the same lot and then tested together in a dual channel MB.

Archived