Corsair Community

HX1000 draws 37W when powered down

InterClaw

Just bought the HX1000 because from what I've read it seems to be the best power supply on the market and proceeded with testing the power draw of the unit.

Connected to power grid, main switch ON, not connected to computer: 37W

Connected to power grid, main switch OFF, not connected to computer: 18W

I cannot believe this is normal! 37 watts could power a laptop (one w/o dedicated graphics at least). What is this power supply doing while it's not even running?

Now, compare this to the power supply I'm coming from, a Seasonic 650W Energy+. Same scenarios as above show 11W and 4W respectively.

I was under the impression that Seasonic actually was the OEM of your power supplies. Please explain what's going on. I'm not happy about this.

I'm running on 230VAC btw.

*Bump*

I did as you said and emailed PowerGuy, but have not received a reply. Have you heard from him?

I have also learned that the HX1000 is manufactured by CWT, not Seasonic. Could I expect the same type of behavior from the TX750 (also CWT).

• Corsair Employees
Just wanted to let you know that I did not forget about you. I have sent out some emails myself to see if I can get you an answer and I am waiting for a response. I will follow up and get you an answer ASAP!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employees
*Bump*

Any news on this? I still haven't heard anything.

EDIT - here's some info:

CWT built:

VX550W PSU: Input no load power = 115Vac x 0.14Arms = 16.1VA

Output voltages measured: +12.06V @ 0A, +5.12V @ 0A; +3.38V @ 0A; +5.16VSB @ 0A; -12.22V @ 0A

HX1000W PSU: Input no load power = 115Vac x 0.10Arms = 11.5 VA

Output voltages measured: +12.25V @ 0A, +5.12V @ 0A; +3.37V @ 0A; +5.16VSB @ 0A; -12.22V @ 0A

Seasonic built:

CX400W PSU: Input no load power = 115Vac x 0.05Arms = 5.75VA

Output voltages measured: +11.99V @ 0A, +5.04V @ 0A; +3.38V @ 0A; +5.04VSB @ 0A; -11.20V @ 0A

VX450W non modular PSU: Input no load power = 115Vac x 0.05Arms = 5.75VA

Output voltages measured: +12.11V @ 0A, +5.10V @ 0A; +3.39V @ 0A; +5.05VSB @ 0A; -11.33V @ 0A

Our results show that the HX1000 should be drawing around 12W with the power switch set to "ON" and no load. If you turn that switch off, there shouldn't be any load, technically.

If you'd like to RMA the supply, we'll gladly replace it. I can't imagine why it's drawing a full 37W while powered off.

The RMA is now approved.

However, I will not pay for postage to the Netherlands of this heavy product. Unacceptable. I would also be without a power supply for at least a week. Also unacceptable.

The store I bought the power supply in said they were okay with replacing it for me as long as you admitted that there was something wrong with it, which you have in this thread, so I hope this will be enough for them to hook me up. I have a feeling that d0tt is an employee of theirs. :)

They in turn will send this power supply back to you. I'm guessing it will be enough for them to refer to this thread while doing so, no?

I am unsure of whether I should post the RMA number and/or serial number of the power supply in this thread as proof of a valid RMA. Perhaps it is enough if I provide them with a copy of the RMA address label you sent me in the email for them to send along when they are returning the power supply to you? Please advise!

Thanks!

I received my replacement at the store now.

However, nothing has changed... The new unit displays 36W and 18W respectively (same scenarios as above). I refuse to believe this is because of some other factor since my old 650W Seasonic PSU shows 11W and 4W as I've said.

A question for PowerGuy: Your examples were all for 115VAC. I'm running 230VAC. Do the 12W you stated still apply? At the same time, isn't the efficiency supposed to be _higher_ with 230VAC than with 115VAC? Maybe this is not related to "efficiency" per se. Please also note that both these units are in fact model CMPSU-1000HX and not CMPSU-1000HXEU. I don't know where the "EU" model is sold, but not in Sweden apparently. Nor do I know what the difference between them is.

Anyway, I think you guys had better have a serious chat with CWT about this problem... This power supply gulps up three times as much juice as it should while turned off and it all goes to waste. That's not very efficient. I think PSU reviews should take standby power consumption into consideration, because it _will_ affect your power bill (mine in this case) and the environment.

In the meantime, what do we do about this? I guess I gonna have to look elsewhere for a truly efficient power supply, right? Can I get a full refund on this thing?

• Corsair Employees

The information that PowerGuy posted should be applicable to both 115vac and 230vac. If you are having identical problems with the replacement then I would suspect that the reading you are getting is not accurate. The Active PFC circuitry in the HX1000 is likely different than your other PSUs, and I would suspect that this is why the results are skewed. The only difference between the regular HX1000 and the EU (Europe) version is type of power cable included with the unit, and the design of the packaging.

As for refunds or exchanges, you would need to contact your reseller. If you have any trouble then you can contact our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rmaservice@corsairmemory.com to see what other options may be available.

Well, I'm using one of these (first picture):

http://images.google.se/images?um=1&hl=sv&q=etech+pm300&btnG=S%C3%B6k+bilder

It cost me about $35 and I have no reason to doubt it. It's accurate with all other electronics and appliances I've tested it with (e.g. a 150W light bulb draws 149W according to the meter, a 25W bulb draws 25W, a 5W bulb draws 6W, a small table fan rated at 16W draws exactly that etc etc). I've tested quite a few things - that's why I bought it. What equipment would you suggest I'd use instead?

Even if my meter was off (which it isn't), and the 36W I'm showing in reality were 12W, then...

A) My old Seasonic would still be at least three times better than this thing (i.e. consuming only about 3-4W with the switch on and only 1W with it off). Different active PFC or not, it consumes a lot more power. I'm not an electrician, but to me it's pretty obvious that the power meter doesn't care how the PSU operates - it just measures how much juice flows through itself and shows that on its display.

... and...

B) My system (check my specs) would only draw about 110W when gaming. Hallelujah! :laughing:

Come on...

I have emailed the RMA department and received a reply as such:

"Im not sure what you are inquiring about. Did you need to have your power

supply to be replaced with a different one?"

I replied that I had already done that and that the replacement was showing the same issue as the original one. So I clarified that I want to return the power supply all together. I am now waiting for their reply to this and the RMA.

But that got me thinking. Does an RMA only mean replacing the product or could you just as well return it? What I mean is it the same for all RMA:s or are there different RMA:s so to speak. :) Or is it by the reseller's discretion?

Hope to get the RMA soon... Thanks!

• Corsair Employees
To return or exchange the PSU you would need to contact the reseller. If you are sending the product to us, then we can replace the unit for you with the same part number. Our RMA department may be able to give you other options, but from technical support all we can offer is a replacement. We do not sell direct to customers, and therefore have no easy way to accept returns/exchanges.

Archived