Corsair Community

bought a fx51 and the corsair block adapter

voodoothenoob

when i installed as per directions it crushed my chip/mobo so back it went -10%restocking fee ($100) not very happy with corsair on this 1 if any1 uses their plate on fx chip be very careful cause it cost me money and a headache and lots of time the directions suck that came with adapter plate

• Corsair Employees
That’s pretty serious, how exactly did you do that? What MB are you using? The installation is pretty straight forward. For Athlon 64/FX you remove the AMD stock heatsink. There are two screws holding the black retention bracket to the metal back plate. These two screws need to be removed; the black retention frame stays on the board. The Hydrocool block is placed on the CPU and the retention bracket placed over the block. The two screws provided with our bracket then screw directly into the holes that the stock screws were in. The plastic spacers that are to go between our retention bracket and the stock plastic retention frame would not allow the screws to be tightened enough to crush the CPU or MB.

I didn't run into any problems with the A64-bracket during my tests, either (see [URL=http://houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24508]here[/URL] )... The only thing I could imagine that could cause damage is using the bracket without the back plate but with two nuts: those springs are quite strong and then the nuts might break the edges of the mounting holes... but then again: the manual clearly states that the back plate is necessary, and no nuts are included in the package... very strange, indeed -> a how-I-ruined-my-mobo-explanation would really be great...

i followed the directions except on 1 side i tightened halfway, then when i tightened other side, the first side popped out. so i tried again and got both sides tightened up and went to boot and black screen, no boot, everything turned on and was running but no boot, bios screen, startup....nothing. so i reset battery on mobo asus sk8n and tried again....nothing so i returned mobo and cpu and i now save my money for my next system. since i have 2 other systems up and running and the fx system was going to be an experiment... i didnt want to go thru the headaches any more after spending 2 weeks messing around with it and not realling seeing a performence increase over my 3.2 overclocked to 3.8. but anyway, it was running fine till i put that on and then nada. so after 4 hours a checking and rechecking....back it went and now i look forward to something new

That sucks about your FX system. The springs are very hard to push down, but AMD white papers call for 75 lbs of pressure on the CPU. I didn’t have any problems with the installation on mine and it’s been working great. All I'm waiting for now is NV40. Next Tuesday. I will be waiting to see if the Hydrocool GPU blocks will work with it.

@ voodoothenoob: the way you describe the problem doesn't sound like being related to the Athlon 64 bracket. I have the SK8N here; and I must admit that it's BIOS isn't the most stable one when it comes to starting the system or rebooting (especially when some hardware components were removed, added or altered). I had those pushing-the-power-button-and-nothing-happens-situations more than once. Reseting the CMOS via removing the battery or the jumper also doesn't always help. I had best results with reseting the BIOS via jumper but with a connected PSU (with standby voltage on the board!). I don't know why, but it works that way :confused: As you don't have the board/ CPU any more, it might be to late for this solution. Anyway: IMHO your problem was the fault of the SK8N/ its BIOS and not of the A64 bracket...

yea, u r probably right.... i really hated that board and the chip didnt "wow" me for the $750 bones i paid... but my point was that all i did was follow the directions that came with the bracket and the thing didnt work and no help was to be found. imo the directions were inadequate even tho the install was simple. corsairs way of "cut n pasting" directions is a slap in the face to any1 who is a customer of theirs. hopefully this bracket will fit on the 939 mobo if i decide to go that route

Archived