Corsair Community

Problem combining 2x XMS3200 sticks on Gigabyte PE667 Ultra

Chrasher

Currently I have an old 512MB XMS3200 cas2 module v1.1 on a Gigabyte PE677 Ultra mobo. It's working flawless on 2522 timings (2.7V). There's no mention on the module that it's Low latency, but at that time it was a special handpicked and tested stick. (judging it's Latency performance it's very good) :cool: For upgrading purposes (Far Cry :D: ) I purchased a 256MB XMS3200 cas2 LL module v1.2, but my system won't boot with both modules, tried every cas settings available and even tried to boot at 333Mhz. Alone these sticks are working OK. The last week I exchanged the 256Mb LL module for a 256 (and even a 512Mb) cas2 "normal" one (version 1.1), and they worked both fine with my old stick, although my latency settings are now at 2633 (they won't go faster). My dealer didn't have a 512Mb cas2 LL on stock, so that's the one I didn't test yet. Both "normal" modules are going back. My question to RAM GUY: What is my best option now for a LL module to complement my old module? Wait for the 512Mb cas2 LL module (version nr. unknown) with maybe the same problems as with the 256Mb module, or go for a XMS3500 cas2 or even a faster one? Can the XMS3500 (or higher) work on a minimum setting of 2632 (2522 is even better) at 400Mhz? And what's the incompatibility problem with my current module and the 256Mb cas2 LL?

• Corsair Employees
Well I would try to match what you have now! In addition, this MB is not dual channel so as you add more memory you may have to run the memory timings to a more relaxed setting because of chipset laoding. I would try CMX512-3200LL and then set the timings to Cass 2-3-3-7 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts!

[quote name='RAM GUY']Well I would try to match what you have now! In addition, this MB is not dual channel so as you add more memory you may have to run the memory timings to a more relaxed setting because of chipset laoding. I would try CMX512-3200LL and then set the timings to Cass 2-3-3-7 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts![/QUOTE] Thanks for your time RAM GUY. It seems that the combination with the "normal" 256 or 512 CAS2 module and my old LL module is working good on my mobo. I guess 1 single module is always the best, performance wise. :D:

Finally tried a second 512Mb XMS3200 CAS2 (version 1.1) module and :D: I'm happy. This stick does work without any problems with my other module at 2522 timings at 2.7V. :cool: Thanks for all your help RAM GUY. CORSAIR Rocks! :biggrin:

Archived