Corsair Community

HP zv5000z and Corsair SODIMMs incompatible

brianstretch

My new HP Pavilion zv5000z Athlon 64 3200+ notebook gets memory corruption errors when both of my Corsair ValueRAM 512MB PC2700 SODIMMs are used. When used individually they test fine with [URL=http://www.memtest.org]MemTest86+[/URL]. I have the same problem, to a slightly lesser degree, with Infineon memory, which Crucial is unfortunately frequently shipping these days in place of the Micron memory that's known to work. I'm told that eMachines Athlon 64 notebooks have the same problem with Infineon memory. I'm speculating that raising the memory voltage or increasing the CAS latency would fix these problems but the HP's BIOS doesn't allow me to do that. Most Micron memory is built on 110nm fabs that would theoretically use less power than the 130nm fabs most everyone else is using. In short, any combination of Infineon and Corsair SODIMMs fails, but using a single SODIMM in either memory slot (leaving the other empty) works fine. Ideas? Anyone know if there's a hidden advanced settings menu in Phoenix BIOS? Ctrl-F1 didn't work.

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest bios installed and then load setup defaults and see if that will solve the problem. If not I would have no problem getting your modules replaced! Please follow the link in my signature and we will be happy to replace them.

RAM GUY, I have the identical Compaq verison of this laptop, the R3000z, and am having similar problems with all modules i use as well. I have your 512MB pc3200 sodimm sitting in front of me as I have just walked through the door not too long ago and have the latest bios. I assume not matter what you replace them with they would be the same chips or is it possible that latency differences cause this incompatibility--I was told any pc3200 sticks should work, but everything gives me memory dumps or crashes windows. Well, I'll find out how the corsair pc3200 sodimm holds up in a little bit. Thanks, ~beast [quote name='RAM GUY']Please make sure that you have the latest bios installed and then load setup defaults and see if that will solve the problem. If not I would have no problem getting your modules replaced! Please follow the link in my signature and we will be happy to replace them.[/QUOTE]

There are no BIOS updates available and I've already tried reloading the setup defaults. HP will hopefully have a new BIOS revision soon but I'm uncertain as to whether it will help. I managed to find a pair of Micron-based Crucial 512MB PC2700 SODIMMs and those tested OK. So, for whatever reason, these notebooks like Micron memory, don't like Infineon and Corsair, and it's hit-or-miss (usually miss) from there. More info [URL=http://amd64notebooks.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=86]here[/URL] and [URL=http://www.notebookreview.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=713]here[/URL]. I don't think the problem is specific to this pair of SODIMMs but applies to the entire Corsair ValueRAM line, same with Infineon. Do you still think I should return the RAM for replacement, do you have any other ideas, or ? Has Corsair tested its memory with any Athlon 64 notebooks? In pairs? Is there any way for me to reprogram the SODIMMs SPD EEPROM to set higher voltage and/or latency defaults?

• Corsair Employees
"Has Corsair tested its memory with any Athlon 64 notebooks? In pairs?" Yes, we have tested with several NB's from Alien ware, ASUS, Dell, Compal, Cleavo. However none have been AMD64. I have called them and we are awaiting a return call is the best I can offer at this point. I have no problem replacing your modules, but honestly this really sounds like a bios issue and changing the modules I don't think will solve the problem.

RAM GUY, I had some luck getting the Corsair PC3200 512MB sodimm as well, and am running that in here with the pc2700 infineon that i can't get to right now, and it appears to be running fine. I am about to run memtest on it, but havent had a chance to yet. I will test it and get back to you and after i take out the pc2700 sodimmm (with hopes that HP/Compaq will offer a bios release that supports pc3200) and see if it works just as well. UPDATE: I ran memtest for 1.5 hours and it ran fine without any errors. I will find out when I switch the two dimms (i want the larger dimm under the keyboard to make any future upgrades easier) if there are any problems. I don't know if it'll work with the 512MB under my keyboard, but soon enough we shall know. ~beast

Do the PC3200 SODIMMs run at 2.6V or 2.5V? I assume the PC2700's run at 2.5V? Do both run at CAS2.5 latency? I really think bumping up the voltage to 2.6V for the PC2700's would make them work correctly but the HP BIOS just won't let me. If there's anything you can do to convince HP to add memory voltage and latency adjustments to their Phoenix BIOS, by all means do so.

I have the RAM switched out and its running even under my keyboard. The Corsair PC3200 512MB sodimm even runs alone on my system so I dont think its the flexibility of the PC3200 memory that is allowing it to work because I tried another set of PC3200 as well and it kept giving me errors. Apparently, everything looks like it has to be cas 2.5 since nothing cas 3 has been working for me. Regarding voltages, I havent really looked, but hopefully RAM GUY can be of some help with that. ~beast [quote name='RAM GUY']Please let me know![/QUOTE]

• Corsair Employees
Well, I have not seen any Notebook that gave you the options to set the timings or voltage, except for some special application units. In addition, our SO-Dims would be JEDEC compliant so 2.5-2.8 Volts would be under warranty. However, most Notebooks that I have seen usually run with the Dim Voltage at 2.45-2.55 Volts.

Archived