Corsair Community

Is This Trinity A Goer?

Tango

Yo, Folks! :):

I'm building a new rig before the global economy collapses. (Yeah, I reckon a good rig will get ya thru a Depression just fine - sumthin' to do with all that time... an' it's cheaper to run than a car.) ;): I want the rig to be a 'Jack-Of-All-Trades' - only mildly interested in overclocking and gaming. My system specs are 'tentative' - most of the parts have arrived, but I'm yet to make a final decision on the RAM.

I've purchased the full retail Vista Ultimate DVD - SP1 included. I've been told you can create both 32-bit and 64-bit installs with the full retail version. Just to be on the safe side, I'll start with a 32-bit install.

Now, I'm not exactly 'technically gifted' as regards building computers, but I once learned to read a spec page, and I can follow instructions... so...

The 'Corsair TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX, 2x2GB, DDR3-1600, CL7, DIMM' sounds finger-lickin' good (the price just within budget). The Corsair Memory Configurator reckons it's a goer with the Asus P5E3 Premium. Goody.

Also, according to: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=929777 there should no longer be a problem with Vista Ultimate 32-bit not 'seeing' the full 4GB of RAM.

But what sayeth the Grand Corsair Senate:

Will that RAM work OK with the P5E3 Premium AND the Q9550 CPU?

The Q9550 has a 1333MHz FSB - is there a definitive relationship between that and memory speed? Would the CPU have to be overclocked to realise the full 1600MHz memory speed?

Any pitfalls I should be aware of with such a mobo/cpu/memory trinity?

Sorry if I sound like a naive 'noob'... but, basically, I am! :o:

Any advice, comments, ruminations welcomed.

Cheers, Tony McKee (New Zealand)

• Corsair Employee
The Q9550 has a 1333MHz FSB - is there a definitive relationship between that and memory speed? Would the CPU have to be overclocked to realize the full 1600MHz memory speed?

A: Yes you will be limited to DDR1333 unless you over clock the CPU to 1600 FSB.

Archived