Corsair Community

ASUS P5N-E SLI problem

Miltermann

Hello!

I have read all the posts about ASUS P5N-E SLI & corsair 4gb issues and i have managed to do some settings but i have a problem.

First of all, I had the memory module: TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX. I bought yesterday an exact same pair of memory modules so now i have 4GBs of RAM.

I used the settings:

SLi ready: Disabled

Memory Voltage: 2.085v (2.0 did not work)

NB Core Voltage: 1.536v (1.4 did not work either)

TCL: 4

TRCD: 4

TRP: 4

TRAS: 12

Command Per Clock: 2

TRC: 24

outlined in:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60306

and everything works ok BUT: when i restart my computer it freezes. I have Windows XP 32-bit and Windows Vista 64-bit. When i restart from both it freezes. Also, if i change any settings and reboot from the BIOS it freezes, too. :evil:

I have performed the latest bios update (i updated from 0803 to 1201).

RamGuy do you happen to have any answers? :laughing:

Thank you for your time in advance!

Miltermann

I did set the speed at 667 manually and it seems to be working ok,

it needs a little bit more testing. I have tested it with:

1 - Windows Vista 64-bit

Boots correctly, runs assessment tests correctly, restarts correctly, system does not

hang at all (did not try it for a long period of time, todo), and shuts down correctly.

2.- Windows XP 32-bit

Boots correctly, restarts correctly, system does not hang at all (did not try it for a long

period of time, todo), it only sees 3.50GB (reasonable since it is 32-bit, PAE does not

work, but it does not really matter to me)

3 - Kubuntu 8.04 64-bit

Boots correctly, restarts correctly, system does not hang at all (did not try it for a long

period of time, todo), it hanged when i had the modules in 800MHz!

That's all for testing results, i will post if i come up with any other problems.

Another thing i observed: running the CPUZ program, i looked at the memory information

and i saw that at DRAM Frequency it says 333.4 MHz now that i have set it to 667MHz.

When i had it in 800MHz it said

400MHz. Why is that??

So i guess there will not be any problem when I shall use the modules in that speed. The

question is what do we do in order to run it in 800MHz?

Thank you for your answers!

• Corsair Employees
Another thing i observed: running the CPUZ program, i looked at the memory information

and i saw that at DRAM Frequency it says 333.4 MHz now that i have set it to 667MHz.

When i had it in 800MHz it said

400MHz. Why is that??

A: DDR2 memory will actually run at half of the rated speed IE 400MHz X 2 since its double data rate = DDR800. And CPU-Z will show the actual clock frequency.

So i guess there will not be any problem when I shall use the modules in that speed. The question is what do we do in order to run it in 800MHz?

A: The only way would be to replace the modules with a set rated to run with 4 modules at that speed or over clock the CPU to get more performance out of the system.

As far as i know, all four modules run in 800 Mhz, why should i then replace them with 4 other modules??

Please research this thread:

http://www.houseofhelp.com/v3/showthread.php?t=64360&highlight=Unpredictable+results+QUAD2X4096+Gigabyte+X38-DS5

The issue is the memory controller and a population of all four banks at the full speed of a two bank run. This issue is across the board with both Nvidia and Intel chipset based boards.

Keep in mind that often issues arise in the longer term. The issues seldom damage the DRAM. They damage the on motherboard memory controller which has a harder time keeping up with the demands of a four DRAM slot population being run as fast as a two DRAM slot population. Those who want to be secure in their system either purchase a single kit of the DRAM capacity that the four singles have or they move to a higher bandwidth DRAM and drop the bandwidth, which is what RAM GUY is advising. I also advise it as I have personally seen the issues that can and often do arise with a four DRAM slot population running at the full speed of a single kit speed.

You are now informed as to the possible issues that can and often do arise when you run a system with two kits of DRAM as fast as a single kit. Also, keep in mind, that there is no support from the motherboard manufacturers for a full bore population of four DRAM slots.

Also, keep in mind that you are mixing and matching different fabbed version of the modules and it is never advised nor is it supported to mix and match DRAM versions.

Ok thank you!

One last question: If i use this pair instead

CORSAIR TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX DDR2 4GB (2X2GB) PC2-6400 CL5 KIT

Part number: TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX.

Will the configuration run at 800MHz? I am talking about reducing from 4

sticks to two 2GB sticks?

Again, thank you for your answers. :biggrin::biggrin:

On 650i in general, 2 x 2GB is better than 4 x 1GB due to the load of 4 modules on the memory controller. And, keep an eye on your NB temps. That big silver heat sink on the board I used was attached too well and the NB on these boards gets ridiculously hot. If you stick with 4 modules, you may even want to do aftermarket cooling.

You mean something like the CORSAIR DOMINATOR AIRFLOW FAN?

Will this do the job? Cause i already bought the 4 modules, i dont think

i can afford bying 2x2GB right now, and i dont know if i can sell the 4 ones

here in greece so that i can buy the 4GBs.

Edit:

Probably you meant this: ENZOTECH CNB-R1 NORTHBRIDGE HEATSINK, right?

Archived