Corsair Community

520HX killed 2 ATI HD4850???

pigo1973

I recently bought Powercolor 4850 PCS 512Mb.

I installed the card, installed the drivers, everything worked fine.

After 1 hour, LCD screen went black; fan on card went to full speed.

I restarted my computer and nothing was shown on the screen, in fact there was not a POST or boot process.

Fans were running on CPU and case, but fan on graphic card was not running.

I replaced card at retail store where I bought the first one.

I went through same process of installation... again everything worked fine.

After 3 days same thing happened. Black screen, fan on graphic card went to full speed, after restart card was dead!

Retail now doesn't want to give me a new card and it claim that my PSU is faulty and it is almost impossible that 2 graphic cards are faulty!!! :mad:

Nothing was overclocked or modify in any way.

Case is well ventilated with 2 x 120mm vents (+ one on PSU)

Any suggestions what is going wrong here??

How can I be sure that my 520HX PSU is working normally.

Any problems reported using combo (MBO, VGA, PSU) similar to mine??

Thanks

Same thing happened for me with a 4870. It was exactly the same, with the screen , fan, etc... I have HX1000 W but I am not sure it's the psu. I repalced my 4870 with an Nvidia OC GTX280 and it's been 2 weeks , never had a problem with it.

In my opinion it's more probably an ATI problem!

:eek:

This can't be just coincidence. :confused:

Was it a PowerColor card or??

Reference design or ???

It was a Sapphire hd4870 , it's a reference design, no OC nothing!

That's indeed weird, and add to that that they refused to replace it for me, they were convinced I didn't install it correctly!!

That's why I decided to get an Nvidia instead!!

I suggest (if you can afford it) to get a GTX260. I don't know where you're living, but for ex in the US it's about 60-100$ more than the 4850 , in europe less than 100€ difference. And if you get a BFG you'll get a lifetime limited warranty (in the US and a 10 years warranty outside of the US).

I may be wrong, but really after what happened with me (and you) I can' trust the ATIs anymore!

It could very easily happen. Especially if you got the replacement card from the same dealer. It is very possible that both cards came from the same lot number, and have the same defective component.

As for the PSU being bad.. I'd be very skeptical. In that event, other things would have happened to your computer too.

It could very easily happen. Especially if you got the replacement card from the same dealer. It is very possible that both cards came from the same lot number, and have the same defective component.

As for the PSU being bad.. I'd be very skeptical. In that event, other things would have happened to your computer too.

Same dealer, two day between two cards...

they are also importer for PowerColor in Croatia (where I live).

• Corsair Employees
Any comment?? :confused:

Any chance of testing ATI 4850/4870 + your PSUs in your lab??

We have built and set up many systems with these cards (along with just about every one of the PSUs that we make), and have not run into this issue. If the PSU is killing the cards then the 12v rail would need to be out of spec, AND the overvoltage/overcurrent circuit in the PSU would also need to be failing. If this is what happened, then it would be very likely that more components that use the 12v rail would also have failed.

At this point I would say it is unlikely that the PSU is the cause, and it would be much more likely that either the slot on your motherboard is out of spec, or the voltage regulation on these 2 cards were out of spec. Have you contacted ATI to see if they have had any similar issues with these cards?

If you would like to get the PSU replaced, just to rule it out, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Thank you for reply!!!

I totally agree with you.

Before 4850 I had ATI 3870 - no problem what so ever!

Now I got nVidia 9800GT - no problem what so ever!

I even had a Sapphire ATI 4850 Dual-Slot cooler, which use in-house design PCB from Sapphire - no problem...

So, in my opinion, it is PowerColor / ATI bad cards to blame for this.

But, that doesn't help me, because now I have problem with retailer, who calim that it is my PSU or something else killed my cards!

I know people powering HD4870s with HX520 and they've been doing so for a long time. There seems to be a flurry of dying graphics cards lately, but it's most likely not related to the PSU (for those who have a good one, not a $10 potential doorstop, ;P ).

• Corsair Employees
Just got reply from PowerColor tech support!

They say 520W is not enough for my sytem!!

That's BULLSHI* IMHO!!

You can find ATI's list of certified PSUs for their graphics cards here: Corsair is on the top right

You will notice that the HX520 is certified by ATI to power "Radeon™ HD 4870 & 4850, Radeon™ HD 3870 & 3850" in a single card configuration. From your system specs, there is nothing that would lead me to believe that the HX520 would not be sufficient for your system. If anything, maybe there was a problem with a particular batch of cards, or maybe you just had bad luck getting two that would fail, but we have not seen this happen with any of the 4800 series cards that we have used in our lab (although we have not used the PowerColor cards).

If you have no problems using the other video cards you mentioned, then I would not suspect that the PSU is the problem. But if at any point within 5 years, you think it might help to rule out the PSU as a being faulty, then we would be happy to replace it.

I have two 4850s in Crossfire-HIS brand though. Been stable since mid august. Only the occasional reboot by mobo b/c buggy BIOS. Do they want a pic of me proving it to them? Thats garbage. Corsair has the best PSU and the HX520 will support one 4850, even two. One guy one here I think had Xfire 4870 on this PSU.

Archived