Corsair Community

Case ventilation for Corsair VX450

Thiago A. Silva

Hi,

I've got a standard ATX CPU case, Corsair VX450, MSI P6NGM-L mb, Intel Core 2 Duo E7200, 2 HDs (SATA + IDE), onboard video and audio, and a back fan that is used as an exaustor.

My system temperature is getting to 44.0º at normal load, and CPU stays usually at 35ºC. About the "standard" case: Corsair air fan doesn't blow directly to the motherboard, as its way is blocked by a metalic part of the case, that serves as a stand for the PSU.. but it has some thin places for the air to flow in.

I'm just thinking that air blocking would be incorrect or would have a bad effect on my system's temperatures, but I found nothing reffering to that issue in my PSU manual. Is that all really normal?

Thank you in advance

Thiago

• Corsair Employees
I would remove the PSU from the case and leave it connected to your components. Set the PSU outside the case, and measure the temps both ways to see if there is any significant change. Your temps do not seem high, I wouldn't suspect you would have any heat related problems.

I opened my case and turned the PSU upside down, because the other way (specially with a closed case) the air doesn't flow right, but with the case opened it flows freely.

The PSU doesn't get that hot anymore, and my system temperature went down to 39ºC.

I'm thinking about cutting the metalic part that holds the PSU (excepts the edges, for it to stand in) to improve airflow. In all pictures I've seen of Corsair PSU's there is no blocker for the fan in the case, like mine has (that's why the PSU gets hotter than it would, I think). I've never seen a fan that has no space to flow in. Doing that the fan would blow directly to the motherboard and use the exaustor as a scape. Would that be an appropriate solution?

Thiago

• Corsair Employees
I would leave it installed in whatever configuration gives you the lowest temps, and if customizing the PSU tray gives you better airflow then it couldn't hurt. Although, your temps do not seem out of control either way, and I wouldn't think that even leaving the PSU the way it is would cause any problems.

Archived