Corsair Community

Constant BSOD's with 2 pairs of TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX

bobbybland

Hello,

Recently I've been getting a ton of constant BSOD's with my Corsair XMS2 2x2 modules.I've been successful running 8gb's for a few month's and now all of a sudden it won't run stable unless I take out 4gb's.

I've tried to use it on an Asus P5b deluxe (Bios 1236)as well as an Asus P5q (Bios 1306) mobo I get the same issues irregardless.Latest chipsets on both.

The memory tested fine (pass) with Burn in test last night ,but after a fresh install of the OS I keep getting them.Within 45 seconds of the OS load.

I have the memory re-map enabled,it used to work fine for a number of months.

I'm running at stock voltage and No overclock.

I've put in for a support ticket as well,if anyone can help,I appreciate it.

Thanks if you can help :sunglasse

Cpu-Z latest version Reports:

Timings Table - Frequency 400mhz - 5-5-5-18

Voltage - 1.8V

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest you set the memory frequency at DDR667 and I would set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to 1.45 Volts and Change ‘Write to Precharge delay’ in the BIOS (same page as for latencies) from default 10 to 15 and set the tested settings set manually.

Ram Guy,

I tried those settings,everything worked for a few and then it crashed again.The blue screen doesn't stay on long enough for me to read what it says.My timings with your settings are 5-5-5-18 is this correct?

Do you have any other ideas for me to try,at least with your settings it worked for awhile this time,about 15 minutes and then the crash,before it was immediate.

Thanks for your helping hand..

• Corsair Employees
Are you consistently crashing now? Have you tried testing the memory in pairs (2 at a time) to see if you can duplicate the issue with just 2 modules installed? If you only have problems when you have 4 modules installed then that would indicate some other issue, let us know your results and we will try to help you isolate the problem!

Are you consistently crashing now?
Only when I use 8gb's

Have you tried testing the memory in pairs (2 at a time) to see if you can duplicate the issue with just 2 modules installed?
It works fine when I use 4gb's no matter which pair.

If you only have problems when you have 4 modules installed then that would indicate some other issue, let us know your results and we will try to help you isolate the problem!
Okay yes this seems to be the issue.. I'm going to swap them around with 8gb's and reseat them and test them more.In the meantime if you have any suggestions on what it may be,I'd appreciate it very much..

Thanks for the response..

In the meantime,can dust actually be a cause for bsod's ? I cleaned my pc and with 8gb's I haven't noticed any crashes ever since,normally by now it would have crashed.I admittedly have been pretty slack on that the last couple of months.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun,but my pc was pretty dusty,hopefully it is something this simple.

• Corsair Employees
In the meantime,can dust actually be a cause for bsod's ? I cleaned my pc and with 8gb's I haven't noticed any crashes ever since,normally by now it would have crashed.I admittedly have been pretty slack on that the last couple of months.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun,but my pc was pretty dusty,hopefully it is something this simple.

Hopefully the problems are gone, but let us know if the issues come back.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Just checking in again.I had another couple of crashes with the 8gb installed,so I took 4gb's out and it has been rock solid for over a week.I think there's something else going on,because either pair works fine as long as it's just 4gb's,but as soon as I go for 8gb's it starts up with the crashing.It's very unpredictable so it seems.I did do a Memtest last night v.2.01 and IT DID NOT REPORT ANY ERRORS.I wonder if my power supply is powerful enough to run 5 internal hd's and 8gb's ram?

If there's anything else you can think of,I'd appreciate it.Could it be that the ram just doesn't jive together anymore when it's at 8gb on my system? Or dod you think it's I need a bigger power supply? I have this system on a 650watt antec true power now.

Thanks in advance..

Hi Ram Guy,

Yes I have the bios set to the settings you told me above. All four modules are set at 667 along with the other tweaks you mentioned for me to try.I did notice certain apps open up better so it did help.As far as the northbridge, I believe you said to give it a boost to 2.0 so it's set at 2.0 is this right?

• Corsair Employees
Anything else you can recommend.Maybe my power supply is under powered for running 8gbs ram with 5 internal hd's? Could that be a factor?

The PSU should be fine for that system, however I wouldn't recommend going higher than 1.55 volts on the northbridge. You really should not have to increase northbridge voltage at all when running at 667MHz. If increasing the northbridge helps with stability when the modules are running at 667MHz, then there could be a weak or failing memory controller on the board. Have you contacted Asus about the issue yet, to get their take on it?

Hi,

Sorry when I mentioned 2.o I was referring to the memory voltage. My Northbridge was and has been set at 1.45v I will try tech support at Asus,thanks again. Although I have tried with two different motherboards a asus p5b deluxe and a asus p5q ,and I get the same thing.

Hello Ram Guy,

I spoke with Asus level 3 tech support today and they said there are no memory controller problems with the P5B deluxe,they also mentioned a bios flash in which I did and it's still crashing with 8 gigs.If I use 4gb's I do not have a problem though.I've also tried reinstalling the OS,but no luck with that either.

Now I'm lost on what my next step should be.I do have a long list of crashes or mini dumps to look through and they all report a module.I'm assuming it's a ram thing still though,since it only crashes with 8gb's..

Have you ever had this kind of issue,or helped anyone else in this situation? Is my this my mobo or ram? Please help

Thanks in advance..

No it does not seem to be the issue,it's only when both pairs are in. They worked fine for many months,and I never had to tweak the timings at all,now they just won't work together.I've tried the bios timings/settings you mentioned and they still keep giving the constant bsod's.Is it possible that I could just swap them out with new sticks this problem would go away? I'm now very confused the OS is clean all latest bios,chipset and drivers are applied and there are No issues when running 4gbs,but my 8gb of this ram together is an issue now.. Thanks if you can help ..

Btw Thanks for the reply..

• Corsair Employees

If two modules run fine in any configuration, and you only have problems when you have 4 modules populated in the board, then I would tend to lean towards the memory controller as the possible issue. You may want to test the modules one at a time in the slot closest to the CPU using http://www.memtest.org, and see if you get any errors. If all the modules are error free when tested individually, then I would not suspect a replacement set would resolve your issues, but if you have no other options then we can try it for you.

You can use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived