Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX and ASUS P5E-VM HDMI

Kazter

As the title suggests, I am currently running a 2x2GB matched pair of the CAS4 variants on an ASUS P5E-VM HDMI Motherboard.

I did a search on the motherboard model and did not find an answer to my question. The question is I have lately been on the tweaking side having recently downloaded CPU-Z and GPU-Z/RivaTuner to not really "overclock" my system, but more to make it run better, more efficiently, and how it was intended by manufacturer specs (I just recently put this system together and am finally getting around to this).

CPU-Z was listing my Memory to be running at 5-5-5-18 Timings when I recalled the manual stating something about Intel's Memory Controller, automatically downgrading any CAS4 Timing Memory Module to a Default DDR2-667 Memory Configuration and 5-5-5-18.

I took a few screenshots of what CPU-Z is looking like *after* I manually changed my settings to what I "know" my Memory Modules to actually run at. My manual actually states, in order to run it at DDR2-800 Speeds, you must manually adjust it in the BIOS.

I changed all of the settings that CPU-Z listed, and in the BIOS that matched up, in addition to raising the voltage from 1.8V to 2.1V on the memory. After I rebooted apparently something happened as I am displaying CAS 3 Latency, when I explicitly set it to CAS4 in the BIOS, in addition to 4 RAS to CAS, 4 RAS Precharge, and 12 tRAS.

I have more settings in my BIOS that I was forced to leave on "Auto" because I have no idea what the options do, and my Manual doesn't help much either. I tried to find a search on "Timings" but I ended up with way too many posts to possibly read through. If someone could give me the right information or data-sheet on these memory modules so I can manually set all of the values in the BIOS (instead of just the 4-4-4-12) I would greatly appreciate it (The information page for this memory only lists what I already know).

My assumption is that if I correctly, change the remaining settings that I left on "Auto" it will actually display full and accurate information in diagnostic software in Windows. My main goal here is stability, my memory is designed to run at one setting, and it's running lower, it should run at it's designed setting. I'm not looking to overclock the memory or anything, I just want it to run how it was intended without damaging my system or longevity. While CAS3 is better in the first place, my concern is that it is damaging the memory, for running at a setting beyond what it was designed for.

Memory.bmp

Memory2.bmp

Timings.JPG.bdf9487a74b0cce50483c56cf815a50d.JPG

There is no correct change. You test and find out if you can make stability. Raise timings incrementally and do so until you find stability. I personally would leave the advanced settings on Auto. These are timings that allow for stability tweaking on different motherboards, etc. and do not allow for any noticeable bandwidth or performance increases. Set to Auto and you can read the SPD Auto settings and the manually increase from there.

Use Memset to read your SPD settings:

http://www.tweakers.fr/download/MemSet.exe

Archived