Corsair Community

Problem with a set of CMX256A-3200LL

scriptasylum

According to the RMA process I should try to get support first, so I hope I am doing this correctly. I'll begin by describing what I was doing to cause the problem: I got a A64 3200+ CPU and a GigaByte GA-K8VNXP installed the other night but have been having continuous problems. This upgrade was to replace a GigaByte GA-7N400Pro and AMD Athlon2800+. In this system, memory was set to 200MHz and timings were set via BIOS automatic detection. No overclocking was done to the memory and voltages were set to default. First, when I tried to install Windows on the new motherboard/CPU, I would get a file copy error, but then WinXP setup would ask to try again and it would continue from there. This would happen a couple of times. But then when the system reboots and it starts setting up devices it hangs (during this time there is no progress indicator or disk activity). I rebooted and continued setup but even if went all the way to the end the installation, I still had problems with BSOD (mainly "page fault in non paged area", but sometimes others). So I thought it was a bad XP CD, so I made another one (had saved my version by making an ISO) and that one installed better. However, once I got into my desktop I still had BSODs once in a while. Sometimes the system hung, sometimes BSOD'd. Sometimes happens while I installed something, sometimes when I'm doing nothing. One time the hang caused my drive to corrupt and had to reinstall Windows yet again. The installation was eventually successful (after a few hangs). I used the driver CD that came with the motherboard. I was able to install SP1 and all updates, but the lockups and BSOD's continued. Sometimes the PC locked up between or during installing the updates. So, I went into BIOS again and reduced memory speed to 166MHz & timings ( to cas 3, and so on) with no luck. Then I removed the DPS module from the motherboard thinking of the problems some people have had with this unit on the 7NNXP, but no help there either. I then tried reducing the HTT to 600; no help. I had nothing else to remove since most everything is built-in the mobo (LAN, sound, USB, etc). All the system devices were installed OK according to Windows device manager. Event Viewer didn't help either, just says there was a problem. If I reported the problem, the MS reporting tool returned nothing. Then, I tried reducing the timings further in BIOS and then when it rebooted, I got continuous long beeps, which according the the manual, means bad memory. So, I reset the CMOS and got the PC to at least POST again. Then, I ran memtest86 and it came up with a ton of errors, broken down below: With both DIMMs I got a total of 1,782 errors on tests 3, 4, 6, 7 on one pass. With only DIMM1 installed, I got a total of 829 errors on tests 3, 5, 6 on one pass. With only DIMM2 installed, I got a total of 1,785 errors on tests 4, 5, 6 on one pass. I only made one pass for each test. I wrote a small number "!" and "2" on the "sail" icon on the memory heatspreader which corresponds to the test above. So, I replaced my faulty memory with some Kingston Cas2.5 PC2700 DDR from the kids PC (KT333 chipset) and my system booted fine. I didn't run memtest again though. So, I put my Corsair memory in the kids PC (XP2400+, GA-7VRXP) and ran memtest86 and it passed 2 passes, although the max speed their motherboard supports is 333MHz, which I presume doesn't stress the memory enough. I did set the timings to the default aggressive latency values for the memory though. My system has the following specs: A64 3200+ (detected correctly in BIOS, CPU bus set to 200). 2x256MB Corsair PC3200LL match pair. GG GA-K8VNXP SLK948U heatsink and Panaflo fan. CPU at ~30C according to BIOS. 2x36GB SATA WD Raptors on RAID0 ATI Radeon 9800Pro (128MB) Antec True Power 550W. Voltage rails are solid (measured with a voltmeter). The case is a Lia-Li PC-82 case with 1 80mm side case fan, 2 80mm intake and 2 80mm exhaust fans plus the overflow from the 80mm fan on the SLK-948U. So cooling is not an issue. There were no extra standoffs from mounting the new Motherboard. All power cables, including the +12v 4-pin connector were correctly installed. The memory was stored in a static bag during the new board installation and I was using tocuhing the grounded case at all times. Today, I purchased 2 sticks of Centon 512MB PC3500 Cas2.5 DDR memory from CompUSA. I ran memtest with them in my system and it ran without any errors for 2 passes. I have been using it all day in Windows with no further reboots (playing games, installing software, encoding video, benchmarking, anything I can think of to stress the memory).

• Corsair Employees
First this is not really the right part of the forum, so I am moving it to Compatibility Questions! Second, please try and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and make sure that you have the Rass to Cass set to "3". If you still have the problem, please test the modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] and let’s make sure one is not failing! If they both pass for 2 modules you would need to install then in slots 1-3, and there is a bios issue in that if you set the timings manually they will not be observed by the bios. Please makse sure you have the latest installed and load setup defaults as well. If it still will not post, please follow the link in my signature and we will be happy to replace it!

Thanks Ramguy. However, I have a question. I know I could raise the voltage, but why does it need it? I mean these are nice modules and are rated for 200MHz, aggressive timings, at standard voltage. I have tried reducing the CAS to 2.5 and the errors still were evident. I am using BIOS version F5 (the latest) and I get the same result. Plus, the "cheap" memory I got (2x512MB Centon PC3500, Cas2.5) runs fine at rated voltage, speed, and timings. I am wondering if the problem is because of the lower latencies inherent in the CPU integrated memory controller? So, in actuality, these modules aren't rated 2-2-2-7 when used in an Athlon64 system? Anyway, I'll give the voltage a boost, and see if that helps. If so, I won't RMA it, but I'll just use it on another system. If I have to boost the voltage just to make it work at rated settings, I really can't trust them. I like speed, but stability is foremost. I'll give it a try after work and let you know. Thanks again.

• Corsair Employees
It will vary from MB to MB! In addition, the memory has voltage regulation in the IC's so adding voltage to them will make little difference. I would as I suggested set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and make sure they are in slots 1-3. As far as the rest, I would suggest with Gigabyte that you use a module that's on their approved list or try another MB that works better with over clocked modules!

Archived