Corsair Community

Need help with overclocking my athlon 3000+

Sultan_of_salsa

Hi, I'm new to this overclocking bussiness and I need some help overclocking my computer. I just bought Twin1024-2700ll memory for my MSI kt6 delta motherboard. I really can't figure out how to go about 184 Mhz, everytime I do, the computer crashes. I use the Core Center that comes with the board to test differnet settings. I have my timings at 2-2-2-6 T1, and the voltage at 2.7. I don't understand why I can't get it to go any faster than that. My processor is not unlock, would that hold me back?? Any help would be greatly appeceated! Thanks Salsa

Many motherboards, like my MSI K7N2Delta have a jumper pin you need to adjust in order to go after a higher FSB....look in your owners guide. You also need to let us know what PROCESSOR you are trying to run! Also, what kind of power supply, heatsink/fan, video card, OS, ratio, etc...Give as much detail as possible... Overclocking takes a little more know-how than just turning up the FSB and adjusting a multiplier if you want to do things right. Is your ram burned in? Is the CPU? Is the BIOS updated? Are all your drivers updated? There is a good noob's guide to overclocking a CPU at [URL=http://www.max-oc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=870]THIS SITE[/URL] I'd read that guide before going any further...also, there are a ton of threads concerning overclocking, so sit a spell and have a good read! Feel free to join up and ask a few questions while you're there. Some of the best OCers I know frequent that site.

I'm running an Athlon 3000+ 333 FSB 13.0x Multipulier Running 2.347 Ghz at 180 Mhz FSB Vcore 1.65 Corsair Twinx1024-2700LL Thermaltake X Cooler 450 w Inspire p/s Nvidia 5700 ultra 128 meg ddr2 Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS ATI TV Wonder TV Tuner DLink 520-L Wireless adaptor Sony DVD-RW/DVD+RW LG DVD 4 80 mm fans 1 neon light Windows XP Pro The Bio is the latest updated one they have for this board, I also have the latest drivers for everything but my video card Im running an older verion for a game I play. I will look and see if there is a jumper for that on this board, thanks for the advice! I sure hope I can figure out how to get this baby up to 200 Mhz FSB soon. :D:

Well, I still can't get the FSB to go above 184 and not crash windows. :mad: This is driving me crazy, I don't know if I can't find the right settings or if it is something else holding me back. Agian I'm running: Athlon 3000+ 333 FSB 13.0x Multipulier Running 2.347 Ghz at 180 Mhz FSB Vcore 1.65 Corsair Twinx1024-2700LL Thermaltake X Cooler 450 w Inspire p/s Nvidia 5700 ultra 128 meg ddr2 Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS ATI TV Wonder TV Tuner DLink 520-L Wireless adaptor Sony DVD-RW/DVD+RW LG DVD 4 80 mm fans 1 neon light Windows XP Pro I spent all of this money for this ram and can't even get it go any faster than my old ram. It does increses my proformence in games and benchmarking scores, but I really got it to overclock. I have the timings at 2-2-3-7-T1 and 2.7v and mem86 finds no errors, and the system is very stable with those settings. Can someone please help me out here! Thanks!

I wrote this some time ago (and have learned oodles more since then) but much of it still applies to you. [url=http://houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17626]AMD Athlon XP OC Guide[/url] Give it a read-through, skip what you know, share what I missed, but maybe it'll help you, I was fairly comprehensive through the whole thing. Just know that you're OC'ing both your CPU and your memory. You might try loosening the timings on the memory before you OC along with dropping the multiplier. Timings like 2-3-3-6 would work fine for a temporary setup, then tighten them up when you get things the way you'd like them. PLUR CK

Archived