Corsair Community

What to upgrade from TWINX1024-3200XLPRO?

FAUguy

My current motherboard is an ABIT AN8 series, with an AMD Athlon X2 4400+ 939-pin Rev. E6 CPU, and a single set of TWINX1024-3200XLPRO memory.

Current overclocking values from CPU-Z are:

CPU: Toledo 2423.3MHz, 11x, 220.3Mhz BUS, 1101Mhz HT, 1.4V Core.

Memory: 220.3MHz, CPU/11, 2-3-3-6-11-1T

I would like to upgrade my memory from 1GB to 2GB but am not sure of the best option since the current memory is no longer being produced and sold. I would also like to keep the same overclocking settings if possiable. Because of this, I'm not sure if it would be best to add two more 512MB DDR400 sticks, or just replace what I've got with two 1024GB DDR400 sticks (such as the TWINX2048-3200C2PT). It also too bad I can't find any Corsair DDR500/550 for better overclocking.

This would be your best option.

I take it the TWINX2048-3200C2PRO would be the same as the TWINX2048-3200C2PT, excpet it has the larger heatsink and LEDs like my current TWINX1024-3200XLPRO. But I can't find it for sale either.

I was thinking about added another set of TWINX1024-3200XLPRO, until I noticed they are no longer for sale. But I guess it is best to only have 2 sticks if you plan to overclock, as the FAQ says 4 sticks can only be run at default speeds.

With that MB 4 modules would run at DDR333 and the Pro version of any module is no longer available ATM. I would suggest replacing what you have now with one set of Twin2x2048-3200C2 if you want more memory.

Ok. It's too bad that 3200PRO's have stoped being produced.

But just to make sure before I place an order for the TWINX2048-3200C2PT, I should be able to run them at the same overclocking specs (as listed above) as my current memory?

The only other brand I could find is ******** 2GB DDR500.

But at $80 more, I'm not sure if it's be worth it.

My MB can only have RAM voltage up to 2.8, and this one says it needs up to 2.9

TWINX2048-3200C2PT

Would be rated at DDR400 at Cas 2-3-3-6 at 2.75 Volts and over clocking will be hit and miss.

Yes, I understand that overclocking is trial and error, but since my current 3200XL memory is stock 200Mhz @ 2.2.2.5, but overclocled to 220Mhz @ 2.3.3.6, and the new 3200C2 memory stock is 200Mhz @ 2.3.3.6, I would "hope" that I could also get it up to 220Mhz.

But regardless, it looks like the TWINX2048-3200C2PT is my only option if I want to go from 1GB to 2GB.

You are welcome to try it but there is no way I can promise that and higher density IC's will not over clock as well not to mention XL modules were made with Samsung TCCD IC's that were rated at 500 Mhz.

OK, thanks for the help. Since they are on sale at NewEgg it's worth a try. Even if I'm not able to get them up to 220Mhz (DDR440), at least my memory size will have doubled and I'll sell my older sticks.

But if I decide not to overclock the memory, would it be OK to use my TWINX1024-3200XLPRO with the TWINX2048-3200C2PT at the same time (3GB total), or could I run into problems since they are not all the same?

Chances are the system would not post because the SPD is different but you are welcome to try it.

In that case, I'd just keep my older memoy stick as a back-up, if anything happend to the new ones.

One final question.

I've read that it is more difficult to overclock 4 stick as compaired to 2 sticks, but if I purcahsed 2 packages of the TWINX2048-3200C2PT (4GB) total, would my ABIT AN8 Fatal1ty MB be able to run then at stock DDR400 (200Mhz), or would it have to be run slower?

You would indeed have to run it at DDR333 with more than two modules on that MB, sorry but its a limitation of the memory controller.

If that's the case, I'd just stick to one set so it can at least be ran at DDR400. I've outgrown my 1GB, but don't think I need 4GB at the present time.

At this point I'm waiting for DDR3 and AMD's AM3 CPU to come out sometime next year before chaging my MB and CPU out.

EDIT:

After looking some more, I guess I could have used either one of these, but they aren't produced any longer:

http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/TWINX2048-3500LLPRO.pdf

http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/TWINX2048-4400PRO.pdf

• Corsair Employees
They are still in production and will be available, for how long they will stay in production will depend on demand. Might be next month or next year, sorry but I have no data as to when it will be EOL. And for older parts that are EOL its hard to say if you will still find them in the channel or not try http://www.pricewatch.com or http://www.pricegrabber.com.

Archived