Corsair Community

2 pairs of TWIN2X2048-8500C5D and ASUS P5Q-E mobo

oz2003

:confused::confused:

I've purchased 4 sticks of DOMINATOR TWIN2X2048-8500C5D based on the HWCL from ASUS and now I can install only 2 of them.

I've tested all modules separately and they all work as a single stick.

When adding a pair, I install either 2 yellow or 2 black slots on the MB.

When adding 4 DIMMs, the system doesn't boot into BIOS and the monitor just stays black. OS is 64-bit but it doesn't even start. I have to pull 2 DIMMs out to get back to the BIOS and change the settings. It's a painfull process.

Tried different settings for voltage, cas, etc. taken from this forum.

Nothing works.

Can you please advice on how to configure MB for 8 Gb to work?

Where are those days when you just add DIMM to the slot and it works....

Regards,

OZ2003

• Corsair Employee
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 or DDR800 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

I've purchased 4 sticks of DOMINATOR TWIN2X2048-8500C5D

Your post is misleading.

4 sticks of a TWIN2X2048 pair would be 4 GB, not 8.

Do you have 2 pairs of TWIN2X2048, or 2 pairs of TWIN2X4096?

I've tried it and it doesn't work. :[pouts:

What I've noticed is that memory won't work in dual sided configration, i.e. both DIMMs in the same bank.

It works with 2 sticks in a single sided configuration inserted into the different memory banks but when I add both sticks to the same bank it doesn't show any screen (doesn't display BIOS, dead). It was my intention to utilize memory with the same speed as the processor which is 1066.

Any idea?

What do I do next? Return memory for a full refund?

Thank you,

OZ

• Corsair Employee
I've tried it and it doesn't work.

What I've noticed is that memory won't work in dual sided configuration, i.e. both DIMMs in the same bank.

It works with 2 sticks in a single sided configuration but when I add both sticks to the same bank it doesn't show any screen (doesn't display BIOS, dead)

I am sorry but I do not understand what you are trying to say here???

What slots are you installing the modules and how many modules and what are the BIOS settings you had set for both CPU and memory?

I've purchased 4 sticks of DOMINATOR TWIN2X2048-8500C5D

Your post is misleading.

4 sticks of a TWIN2X2048 pair would be 4 GB, not 8.

Do you have 2 pairs of TWIN2X2048, or 2 pairs of TWIN2X4096?

I have 2 pairs of CM2X2048

Here is the exact label on each module:

CM2X2048-8500C5D

XMS2-8500 2048 Mb 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15 2.1V ver.1.1 <serial number>

I am sorry but I do not understand what you are trying to say here???

What slots are you installing the modules and how many modules and what are the BIOS settings you had set for both CPU and memory?

There are 4 slots on the MB: A1, A2 (bank A) B1, B2 (bank B)

When I install 2 modules in either A or B bank, nothing works. Memory suppose to work as dual sided in this configuration operation at 1066 Mhz.

4 modules don't work either.

2 modules work only if installed one in A one in B bank operating at 800 Mhz.

This confirms that the above memory doesn't work in dual sided configuration at 1066 Mhz.

BIOS settings for CPU is Auto

BIOS settings for memory is manual 5-5-5-15 and voltage is set to 2.1

• Corsair Employee
With two modules they should be in slots A1 and B1 for dual channel and set the proper voltage and timings, but with the CPU you have you may be limited to DDR800. And With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.05 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

:confused:

In fact, there is no progress.

1) CPU is Q6600 which has 1066 front bus speed. So I expect memory rated to work at 1066 actually work at 1066Mhz not 667.

2) 2 DIMMs inserted in A1 and B1 work as a pair and are reported as Dual Channel interleved -- No porblems here.

Timing is manually selected as per your comments above.

3) When 4 DIMMs are inserted no matter what the initial settings were the system doesn't start AT ALL, not even BIOS shows up.

My comment: memory modules are incompatible with P5Q-E and cannot be used to achieve 8Gb memory configuration.

I can provide screentshots of the memeory settings if you want however I see it as a waste if time.

Can you replace my 4 modules with any proper modules that would give me 8 Gb memory configuration working at 1066 Mhz with P5Q-E?

Please advise ASAP as I cannot get my system up and runnig and outstanding work piles up.

Thank you.

I have 2 pairs of CM2X2048

Here is the exact label on each module:

CM2X2048-8500C5D

XMS2-8500 2048 Mb 1066Mhz 5-5-5-15 2.1V ver.1.1 <serial number>

Both pairs work fine as a pair in A1\B1 slot and pass memtest.

They suppose to work on 1066Mhz in 4 DIMM configuration.

I am pulling my hair off.:laughing:

Almost 1\3 of the cost of the PC is useless.

I would agree with you if something is wrong with the slots but each pair of DIMMs works fine in either A1\B1 or A2\B2 slots operating at 1066 Mhz dual channel.

I am pretty sure MB manufacturer will say something is wrong with DIMMs.

Funny thing is I am as a customer let down by the vendors.

• Corsair Employee
If you install two modules and set the memory frequency to DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB Voltage to +.2 Volts then exit saving changes and install the other modules will the system post?

• 3 weeks later...

No, the system won't post if 4 modules are inserted. After having it configured with 2 modules and adding another 2 the system doesn't boot doesn't display any screen just stays black screen no beeps.

Take any of the pair out and the system boots properly.

Now I am stuck with 2 modules \ 4 Gb because returning another 2 modules with the restocking fees would be too prohibitive ((

Good intentions went bad. I wanted to have 8 Gb RAM in my system and got 4Gb instead loosing $100 in restocking fees and shipping cost in the process.

Archived