Corsair Community

Matching existing memory specs

Tunertom

My HP M7330N system doesn't show on the memory configurator. It has an MSI Amethyst-M MB with 2 each 512MB PC3200 3-3-3-8 sticks. The MB is limited to 2.5 volts for memory.

I want to add 2 more 512mb sticks. I bought the wrong memory from Newegg and need to exchange it for something that will work. They sell Corsair VS1GBKIT400 which is spec'd at 2.5-3-3-8. Will this work with the existing 3-3-3-8 sticks? I don't understand latency time compatibility issues.

I see that Corsair VS512MB400C3 is 3-3-3-8, but NEWEGG doesn't sell it. Should I get this instead?

Thanks!!

Your motherboard manual:

http://217.110.237.67/Manuals/7184-engl%20v1.x.pdf

Note the specs:

Supports 2.5v DDR SDRAM DIMM. This mainboard does not support the memory module with more than 18 pieces of IC. Does not support three memory modules.

It is never advised to mix and match memory versions. You will not be able to find the version numbers of the DRAM prior to receiving it and since you have had the DRAM in your system for more than a few years, the DRAM you purchase will not be ensured to work with the newer fabbed DRAM. It is far better to find two 1GB sticks that will work in your system. You can then test the set you now have to see if there will be a marriage between the two but you need to be accepting of the very likely possibility that they will not work, and possibly you will end up with 3GB that works.. In that way, you end up with the 2GB you wish and not 2GB that does not work.

This is the memory I would choose, spec'd to 3-3-3-8:

VS1GB400C3

Archived