Corsair Community

Trying to match this module...help?

TheCrunge

I am trying to find the exact same module that I have already and I have a few questions, since there seem to be some very close similarities within the part numbers. What I have in my system now (all the info I can find on this module): CMX512-3200C2 (called the vendor for their record of the mfct. part#) DDRAM 512MB 32mx8 PC-3200C2 (what shows on my invoice) The following is a description on the site from when I bought this module back in February (saved the web page from then): Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 - OEM Specification Manufacturer: Corsair Speed: DDR400(PC3200) Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM Error Checking: Non-ECC Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered Cas Latency: 2-3-3-6 1T Support Voltage: 2.6V Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s Organization: 64M x 64 -Bit Warranty: Lifetime My question is, my invoice says 32mx8, yet the description above says 64mx64. I also found what I beleive to be this module listed with the following: Organization - 64mx64, Type - 32mx8. Is this contradictory? How can I find out exactly what is in my system? What is this 32mx8? Does it matter when trying to match modules? I appreciate any help!!

• Corsair Employees
For the most part I think you would not need to worry and the organization and type. It is just stating the type of IC's 32 X 8 organized to 64M by 64 or 64 word data path un-buffered memory. To put it simply. In addition; most desktop MB's, need to have memory that would be based on a By 8 type of IC. What would be more important; would be that the modules you use if in a dual channel MB would match both in size and type of memory. Please make sure that the module you have now matches with the new module in part# and revision #. Example you should have module part # something like: Corsair CMX512-3200C2 XMS3200 Rev 3.1 0404098 You would want to match the same part# "CMX512-3200C2" and the same revision # "Rev 3.1" as what you have now.

[quote name='RAM GUY']That will be printed on the label of the module under the part#![/QUOTE] Der, ok. So, when ordering a new module, how can I be sure that the NEW one has the same rev#, since I don't see that listed in the specs? BTW, thanks for the help. It's nice to have smart people sharing their knowledge for free. Thanks!!

• Corsair Employees
Honestly, that’s the tricky part. Many of the resellers do not track the modules or parts they sell buy revision #. You would just need to ask your reseller if they can tell you the revision they have. Or I would tell them the facts up front and let them know what you have now and that you posted on our forum and we suggested that you match the module you have now. And tell them what you have and see if they can help you match it. Some can do this and some just do not have a way to check.

Archived