Corsair Community

TX750W Faulty?

ESchenk

Hi,

I have a 3.5 month old TX750W power supply and when I try to start my system up it only powers up for 3 to 4 seconds and then shutsdown and trys to start itelf again after a few more seconds.

If I unplug the power supply from the mains and leave for 10 mins or so and try again it normally (after 2 or 3 attempts) starts OK and remaing running until a reboot or shutdown.

If I use the suppend to RAM feature of Vista and try to resume it fails to start indicating that power to the memory modules has failed.

After a bad start it casues some of my setting in BIOS (memory speed settings) to revert back to factory settings, this IMHO indicated a faulty PS, is there a definitive test I can carry out to prove it one way or other?

Thanks

Eddie

Updated Info:

The machine will now not get past the constant rebooting squence, the best I get is 9 short beeps and then a reboot followed by 3 short beeps and another reboot etc etc. According to my MB manual this indicated a PS issue.

• Corsair Employees
I would recommend that you try the PSU functionality test. If the PSU powers on and stays on, then there is a possibility that your system is triggering the OCP/OVP (overcurrent and/or overvoltage protection) circuits on the PSU due to an out of spec signal from the motherboard. If this is the case then I would recommend testing the PSU in a different system to be sure. If the PSU is still not powering on properly then let us know and we will be happy to replace it!

I have carried out the test you requested and the first time it shut down after 3 seconds, thereafter it keeps running. I tried it coupled up to my MB again and it startup up OK 5 times and then went into the reboot cycle again. I disconnected the main MB power pulg and shorted it again and left it running for 10 minutes and after this is has kept starting up the system OK.

Don't know where to go from here, the MB beeb code showed a PS issue but that could I suppose be part of the onboard voltage regulators. I don't have a PS of this caliber to try a swap out, the other units I have don't have enought wattage or the right pin types (SATA etc) needed.

Any more tests I can run to help pin it down please?

Thanks

Eddie

• Corsair Employees
First, I would run http://www.memtest.org, to rule out any memory related issues. With 4x 2GB modules you will likely need to manually configure the memory settings, in order to make sure the system is stable. With the 8500C5D modules you will want to set the memory voltage to 2.1 volts. Let us know your results!

I already had the memory setting configured manually, I ran 3 passes of Memtest and all were OK running the modules at 400Mhz (800 Speed) and I will leve them there as this board will not run 4 x 2Gb modules at 1066.

Since shorting the pins on the main power connector and re-connecting to my MB everything is running as it should, I will run a suspend to RAM (Vista) operation later on today and see if it recovers some hours later but I am not happy with not knowing what casued this issue for the past week, it was like a creeping death!

I suspect that one of the max loads for a PS is the startup draw, especailly with a 9800 GX2 Graphics card, the system has never failed once running, only on startup or resume from RAM suspend which still leads me toward the PS as that has to supply the juice for the suspend to RAM which worked just fine since May when I bought all the components.

Cheers

Eddie

• Corsair Employees
You may want to stress test the system and see if you can crash it. I would run 3Dmark to stress the graphics card, and then run Orthos at the same time to stress the CPU cores along with the memory. This should stress the system enough to use more power than you normally ever would. If the system remains stable at max load, then you can rule out insufficient power as a potential issue.

I ran the tests and have been using the system without incident for over a week now.

The stress tests did not show up any issues, this is just too weird, the suspend options in Vista is once again working correctly so I am at a loss as to why running the PSU tests and shorting the pins out would "fix" this issue.

Anyway, I said I would report back so I guess I will see how it goes.

Cheers

Eddie

• Corsair Employees
Glad to hear it is up and running, normally if there is a defective component in the PSU, you will not get intermittent results. There may have been some other piece of hardware that was going out of spec and tripping the overvoltage/overcurrent protection circuits on the PSU. At any rate let us know if you have any more problems!

Archived