Corsair Community

Memory compatability with my new mobo

javelin69

Hi guys,

This is my first posting on this site and would like to say hello first. Hopefully my small question won't become a big problem:o:. First off here's some of my system features, MSI K9A2 Platinum motherboard, Corsair DDR2-1066 Dominator memory #TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF, and AMD's Phenom X4 9950 cpu. I also went to see if they are compatible at Corsair's website and they said yes.

Here's the question, my manual for the motherboard says it can handle a ddr2 memory but only in 1.8v format, and it also says it can handle a ddr2-1066 stick. But when I look around most ddr2-1066 sticks are only 2.1v, or higher and the ones that say they are, king****, only run ay 800Mhz at 1.8v and still need 2.1 to run at the proper 1066Mhz. Now is there truth to any of this, or am I just freaking out and everything will be ok? This is my first time dealing with DDR2 memory so I'm a total noob at it, but this is my 4th system I'm building. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Kind regards,

Ron :D:

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Ram Guy,

I can't even try the items you suggested cause I finally go my new hard drive for the system and was about to start the computer for the very first time. I have everything connected correctly and turned the system on. There is now a Warning sign that comes up. It says.

Warning !! The previous performance of overclocking is failed and the system is restored to the defaults setting. Press any key except "DEL" to enter SETUP

Instead of the memory running at 1066 MHz, I'm guessing the system will run at 800 MHz instead, but no dice, and I can't even get into the BIOS to check anything. Do I need a old school style keyboard that isn't controlled by USB? Cause my lights on my current one don't come on so I'm guessing there not working right. I tried hitting the reset button on my motherboard but that didn't do anything as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Ron

Ok, was able to reset the BIOS, am currently running it with a couple of XMS sticks of DDR2 800Mhz. When I get home I'll try to replace them out with the 1066Mhz ones. Like you suggested I'll start out with 1 stick in the #1 slot. Will let you know how things go. Thanks again :):

Hi gang,

Well good news, i finally got the new memory to work properly. I was able to flash the bios an that was the major part that helped! So I started the system up with the 2g's of PC2 6400. Worked like a charm, the after-wards I reinstalled the first stick of the Dominator 1066Mhz 4GB set. It worked as well, only thing was the system was still reading it as 800Mhz DRAM. So I found the area where to up the speed by overclocking it by something like 1.33times. I restarted the system an rechecked th BIOS and Viola, it worked. Now I have both stick in the system and running at the proper 1066Mhz. Thanks again Ram Guy for all the help!:biggrin::D:

Kind Regards,

Ron

Archived