UnprovenTheorem

Ill start off with this:

Antec 850w True Power Quattro

Intel Core2 Quad Q9550

4G (2x 2G) Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600

evga 790i Ultra mobo

9800 gx2 video

Windows Vista x64

...now the problem I'm having...appears to be with the ram. Upon initial installation of Vista, It would install the files, then the first reboot would come and it would BSOD for a split second and continue to loop. Taking one stick of ram out fixed the problem as far as that goes. Tried putting another stick in after install and I got as far as 5 minutes of idle time on the desktop before another BSOD. I believe the problem may lie in the timings. According to the BIOS they are totally on par. 9-9-9-24 with a voltage of 1.8...but there's a bunch of other timings that I totally don't understand, that maybe someone could tell me what the norm is for a setup such as my own.

Upon further inspection, the mobo was clocking the ram at 7-7-7-20, at 1066 with less voltage, I've since forced it to run at 9-9-9-24, as 1600, and provided 1.8v. I am still having problems with BSOD on boot. Ive tried swapping the sticks...they both seem good. What's interesting is, despite the forced clock speed, CPU-Z is telling me its running as 800 MHz. WTF??

I'm sorry...whats that? :)
He is saying you will have to install Vista with one stick of ram. Then get a patch from microsoft that is for issue you having (it is a known issue) then after you have applied the patch you should be able to put your other stick of ram in.

I have come across the issue myself on a mates computer.

Archived