Corsair Community

Which Corsair for 2-2-2-5 timing @ 200 MHz ??

Hi, folks. :) I'm currently using Intel Pentium4 system based on 875P chipset. I'd like to buy 2 x 512MB of Corsair PC3200 DDR SDRAM which can do 2-2-2-5 at 200 MHz. I understand that legend :D: Winbond BH5 chipset is discontinued. But Does Corsair have PC3200 RAM that does 2-2-2-5 timing ?? Cheers.

BH-5 is in short supply these days as it has been discontinued, your best bet is to try ebay but expect to pay over the odds. If your running the memory in a P4, memory timings shouldn't be as much of an issue. It's my understanding that they have a better memory controller and therefor loose timings don't have as much of an effect as they would with an AMD system. If i were you i'd use the extra money to buy slightly better rated memory like pc3500 or pc3700 and a better cooler and overclock that sucker. ...just my 2 cents

Not only is the BH-5 RAM hard to find and expensive, the 875/865 chipsets are probably not going to run 2,2,2,....timings with any RAM. A VERY small # of people have gotten timings that low but they are rare. The RAS to CAS usually on 99.99% of these boards has to be 3 as opposed to 2. As said above, buy some fast RAM, PC3700, PC4000, or PC4400 and go for pure speed. I'd suggest some research on CPUs though if you don't already have it. Not all CPUs are going to run as fast as the RAM you choose. Good luck either way. Mike.

[quote name='dba$e']It's my understanding that they have a better memory controller and therefor loose timings don't have as much of an effect as they would with an AMD system.[/QUOTE] Just a note, but it's not the memory controller or PAT, it's buffering. You get the exact same scores on all real and virtual memory performance tests if you remove the advanced buffering techniques of Intel CPU's. Hopefully this problem will be remedied with the next batch of AMD CPU's. As for the memory, listen to these guys, you're looking for a needle in a haystack! PLUR CK

• 3 weeks later...
I must be lucky then. I have 4 256 sticks of Corsair PC3500 and I do run 2-2-2-5 timings with my P4 2.8C @ 3.5 at 5/4 250/200. And lacency does indeed matter with the P4. 250/200 at 2-2-2-5 is faster than 250/250 at 3-4-4-8 timings. That's the reason I'm not switching to PC4000 cause it would be actually slower than what I have now. I mean, running 1/1 sounds better than running 5/4 but what's the point if it actually runs slower?

I've read that article. It shows just what I said. Memory bandwidth is a bit higher with 250/250 at 3-4-4-8 but games run faster at 250/200 at 2-2-2-5. Since I mainly built my system for gaming, that's what I'm most concerned with. Higher memory bandwidth (than what I have already) is not an issue if it doesn't translate to real world performance increases. That's why I don't put much stock in memory bandwidth benchmarks like sisoftsandra. It really doesn't tell me anything that is useful to me other than a number. Now on the other hand, if increases in memory bandwidth (with same system specs) can be shown to translate into more fps in games, then I'm all ears. So far I don't see anything like that (at least with my system where lower memory latencies are more important than the little extra memory bandwidth at the expense of higher latencies).

Now if only PC4000 could run at 2-2-2-5 timings so I could get my 1/1 (250/250), then I might have something there. I would love to try out some ram like that just to see if going that extra 50 on the memory speed running synchronous with the fsb (with the same 2-2-2-5 timings I have now) would actually give me something tangible. Don't thing that day will ever come though. :(

[quote name='specmike']Not only is the BH-5 RAM hard to find and expensive, the 875/865 chipsets are probably not going to run 2,2,2,....timings with any RAM. A VERY small # of people have gotten timings that low but they are rare. The RAS to CAS usually on 99.99% of these boards has to be 3 as opposed to 2. As said above, buy some fast RAM, PC3700, PC4000, or PC4400 and go for pure speed. I'd suggest some research on CPUs though if you don't already have it. Not all CPUs are going to run as fast as the RAM you choose. Good luck either way. Mike.[/QUOTE] Prolly not gonna be able to run 2-2-2??? I know a LOT of folks running bh5 at 222 with 865/875 chipsets. Maybe cheap POS mobos have trouble, but 865/875 chipsets run at 222 with no problem. I'll put it this way, I've NEVER seen a 865/875 that couldn't...and I've seen quite a few.

[quote name='Zax']Prolly not gonna be able to run 2-2-2??? I know a LOT of folks running bh5 at 222 with 865/875 chipsets. Maybe cheap POS mobos have trouble, but 865/875 chipsets run at 222 with no problem. I'll put it this way, I've NEVER seen a 865/875 that couldn't...and I've seen quite a few.[/QUOTE] I don't doubt what you say but, I'd like to see a few examples of it. I have seen VERY VERY FEW in the year that the 875/865 chipset MOBOs have been out. And, many of those had board/volt mods. The more recent MOBOs, rev 2.0 versions or new releases like the AI-7 etc might be doing a bit better but they are still rare. Mike.

I guess I'm refering to 'enthusiasts' mobos from Asus, Abit and Gigabyte. I'm into the overclocking scene...if a mobo couldn't handle 222 timings, it would get blacklisted so fast it would be funny. My $95 Giga 1000 Pro (Rev.0) does 222 no prob. Another big factor is that bh5 luvs voltage and most run of the mill mobos can't pump 3v to the dimms. Mine puts out 2.85 which is enough to do the trick...for me anyways. Q: I've heard that the VR in ch5 modules can be bypassed if the vdimm hits 3v or more...is this true? This sounds feasable since the extra voltage must be disapated in the form of heat, which of course is not good for a device w/o sinks.

I don't really feel like scouring Intel's white papers to debate you, it's not really that important to me. But, Intel designates RAS to CAS as 3 on the Canterwood/Springdales. If you've noticed, the SPD of pretty much any brand of low latency RAM has been changed to reflect this. However, the entire time there have been exceptional MOBOs and it's very kool you have a MOBO that will do it. A few people at other forums I surf can do it also but they are most definitely in the minority. I'm guessing it is akin OCing a CPU. My 2.4c will do 3.3 or so on stock voltage. So I guess a chipset can run a lower RAS to CAS, especially if Intel has made some improvements over the last year. But, improvements or not, the spex are still the same. However, the problem becomes that the RAM companies have to validate their RAM at chipset spex given by Intel or AMD. Therefore, they cannot claim and warranty that their RAM will run lower timings even though we all know it can and will. And, the BH-5 based RAM, as you pointed out, is by far the best at it. As to the voltage, I have not heard about that overvolting helping the CH-5 based RAM. Personally, I can't afford to cook a gig of RAM to find out. I just fried my IC-7 MAX3 trying to do a Vdimm+VTT mod. It worked but impatience and haste allowed me to arc a part of the circuit while I was testing:[pouts: Have you actually seen results of someone trying that overvolting trick or is a rumor? That could be very helpful info to those willing to try it. Happy Computing, Mike.

Archived