Corsair Community

Corsair memory query

happy37

Hello everyone

I have got an Asrock P4V88 motherboard running Windows XP SP3 with a P4 Pentium 3.2 Ghz processor - all patches and updates applied etc...

My query is this:-

I have already got 2GB of Corsair memory installed - VS2GBKIT400C3

I have already added another 1GB - VS1GBKIT400

Is the above the correct one, keeping in mind the theory about dual-channel and pairs on the Asrock motherboard, or should I have gone for this other one instead? - please see link below...

I notice that there is a CAS latency/timings difference between the two pieces of kit...what difference does this make?

VS1GB400C3

Update - having added the 1GB of memory - VS1GBKIT400

My system went into an endless cycle of reboots, so I removed the 1GB modules so that only 2GB memory remained, and all was well.

Which memory modules should I have added...i.e which ones is/are the correct ones?

Do you all also think that 2GB is more than enough for Windows XP Pro, as I have been told previously that I will probably see no difference if I did add another 1GB of RAM???

Is this correct? - or should I just return the 1GB kit that I bought and just get another 2GB kit to "up" the RAM to 4GB?

It is tough to mix and match DRAM modules with different fabs and/or densities. You are advised to enter the BIOS with two sticks and set the bandwidth to DDR333.

The difference with Windows XP and the extra GB of DRAM will be minimal. The sweet spot is 1GB and 2GB gives quite a bit of DRAM headroom already.

Keep in mind that if you purchase another kit, you need to be certain that you buy a kit of the same integer version to have the best likelihood of the DRAM working. Also, keep in mind, that Corsair does not support a four DRAM slot population other than their Quad kits.

Download Memtest86+ V2.01 from--->

Download CPU-z from

Enter your BIOS and set to these values:

Advanced 

DRAM Frequency = 333Mhz
Flexibility Option = Enabled
DRAM CAS Latency = Auto
DRAM COmmand Rate = 2T
DRAM Bus Selection = Auto
DRAM Voltage = High

USB Configuration

Legacy USB Support = Disabled For Memtest - Enabled After Memtest

Shut the system down and insert the second set of DRAM modules. Then restart with a boot to the Memtest CD. Run Memtest for two full passes. When assured of stable DRAM, then enter Windows and run CPU-z. Please post screenshots of the CPU-z CPU, Memory and SPD tabs.

DerekT

Thanks for your detailed response...a few points to clarify, please:-

You are advised to enter the BIOS with two sticks and set the bandwidth to DDR333.

Should I do this as a permanent change, or should I leave this as Auto which is what it is set to at present? - please advise?

The difference with Windows XP and the extra GB of DRAM will be minimal. The sweet spot is 1GB and 2GB gives quite a bit of DRAM headroom already.

You have just literally helped me make my mind up about not adding any more RAM, so I think that 2GB will be enough..I would think that 3GB or 4GB won't make that much more of a difference than 2GB?

Enter your BIOS and set to these values:

Code:

Advanced

DRAM Frequency = 333Mhz

Flexibility Option = Enabled

DRAM CAS Latency = Auto

DRAM COmmand Rate = 2T

DRAM Bus Selection = Auto

DRAM Voltage = High

Again, should I make the settings above permanant if they are not set to these values already? - please advise?

4. I can now only do the CPU-Z tests on the 1st set of 2GB of RAM that I have already got in the PC as I have already arranged to return the new 1GB memory kit to the place of purchase this morning...sorry!!!

However, depending on your answers to my questions above, I will pop back and post my results of the CPU-Z tests.

Thanks again for your sound advice - much appreciated.

Please revert in due course.

Regards

happy37

Yes, those would be permanent changes when populating all four DRAM slots of PC3200 - 400Mhz DDR. With Windows XP 32Bit I do not see any marked differential between 2GB and 3GB.

Derek

Thanks again for your response - I have now left the RAM as 2GB (2 x 1GB sticks in Dual Channel memory mode)

I have also made the advanced settings as you have suggested for the memory in the BIOS.

Will post back with screenshots of CPU-Z as you have requested in due course.

Thanks again...

happy37

Archived