Corsair Community

Wierd overclocking?

kuailan

Boy after playing for hours O/C the last 2 days, doing the memtest, I am surprised that even at 417 x 8.5, the memtest has failed :eek:. (I thought they are all good!) What surprised me is that I have passed 8 hours or more in both Prime and OCCT. I have even completed Super PI from 16K to 32M successfully. (and yes, I have disabled the legacy USB when running the memtest). If memtest detect error, I would have failed in those three applications that I have used in the first place? Right now I am really confused as to which software to use to confirm the stability of your overclocking. I have a feeling maybe the memtest just doesnt like the speed of the memory. Now I have downgrade the speed to 412x 8.5 and passes 3 rounds. I guess I have to be happy just to attain 3.5Ghz, considering my Q9550 is a C1 stepping.

I dont know if maybe "guru" Derek can help me attain more speed? By the way I have tried tightened the speed...I guess it only like 5-5-5-18. I thought my 5-5-5-15 works (but memtest failed it despite both OCCT and Prime passes them). Also just wondering what is the safest highest voltage you can put for NB? Also how do you measure the temp? Is it the MB temp in the Asus probe? I have been told by someone in the ASUS forum that you can put as high as 1.65?? Boy even at 1.4 it is already highlighted in yellow.

Overclocking DDR2 DRAM is not really all that beneficial anymore. DDR2 has had its day and there is no more of the higher end DDR2 overclocking DRAM. This move has been transitioned to the DDR3 stage and there are great differences in models, ic manufacturers so it is a good idea to research heavily before purchasing DDR3 as some overclocks very well and some does not. There are no DDR2 modules still being fabbed that will give highly or even moderately highly overclocks. Just as there are no DDR DRAM modules that will overclock well. I have four sets of 1066Mhz DDR2. I migrated to the 2GB modules and when I did that, the ability to overclock that I had with the 1GB modules (Micron D9GMH) was completely gone. I can make no higher than 1115Mhz on the 2GB modules and one set can only make 1090.

This is to be expected and I will live with it until I decide to transition to DDR3 but that will not be for another year or so when the release of the second iteration of Nehalem is released.

Prime is passing because your CPU has no problem with the overclock. The DRAM is 1066 and might make 1100 if you keep to 5-5-5-18. I do not drive my Northbridge higher than 1.55v. I do not raise the CPU VTT any higher than 1.25v.

Overclocking DDR2 DRAM is not really all that beneficial anymore. DDR2 has had its day and there is no more of the higher end DDR2 overclocking DRAM. This move has been transitioned to the DDR3 stage and there are great differences in models, ic manufacturers so it is a good idea to research heavily before purchasing DDR3 as some overclocks very well and some does not. There are no DDR2 modules still being fabbed that will give highly or even moderately highly overclocks. Just as there are no DDR DRAM modules that will overclock well. I have four sets of 1066Mhz DDR2. I migrated to the 2GB modules and when I did that, the ability to overclock that I had with the 1GB modules (Micron D9GMH) was completely gone. I can make no higher than 1115Mhz on the 2GB modules and one set can only make 1090.

This is to be expected and I will live with it until I decide to transition to DDR3 but that will not be for another year or so when the release of the second iteration of Nehalem is released.

Prime is passing because your CPU has no problem with the overclock. The DRAM is 1066 and might make 1100 if you keep to 5-5-5-18. I do not drive my Northbridge higher than 1.55v. I do not raise the CPU VTT any higher than 1.25v.

Agreed...I am saving the DDR3 for the Nehalem...but of course I wont spend it until after several months Nehalem has make it into the market. I believe by next year the price should be better.

If I am right the prime also has mix stress of the CPU and RAM too isnt it? so do OCCT? by the way, how do you check the temp of the NB? which utility to use?

Agreed...I am saving the DDR3 for the Nehalem...but of course I wont spend it until after several months Nehalem has make it into the market. I believe by next year the price should be better.

If I am right the prime also has mix stress of the CPU and RAM too isnt it? so do OCCT? by the way, how do you check the temp of the NB? which utility to use?

I use the finger method. I test the Northbridge at idle and full load with stock settings. Then I test with idle and full load at overclocked settings. If the Northbridge is too hot for me to hold my finger on it for ~10 seconds, I need aftermarket cooling. I do not use CPU stability testing Prime95 and OCCT for testing the DRAM. I use Memtest on boot in command mode for the test of the DRAM.

Archived