Corsair Community

Problems with TWIN2X2048-8888C4D

TobiasL

Hi!

I suspect i have bad ram, cause i get BSOD and weird messages all the time. I have tested the ram at FSB: 400 (1:1) 2.4V and all other settings on AUTO (5-5-5-18) and it was all red on memtest. But i don't know if this qualifies as an approved test.

Can someone give me some settings to really check if the RAM is bad?

BIOS is up to date, and the PC was fine until some day ago. It passed Orthos 8h. But now it last abou 8min then fails.

Best regards

/Tobias L

• Corsair Employees

I would recommend that you load setup defaults in the BIOS, and manually configure the following settings:

Memory Voltage: 2.4v

Memory Frequency: 1111MHz

TCL: 4

TRCD: 4

TRP: 4

TRAS: 12

Command Per Clock: 2T

Next test the modules one at a time in the slot closest to the CPU with http://www.memtest.org and let us know your results!

• Corsair Employees
You may have to over clock the CPU to get the tested settings of the modules. But see what options you have in the BIOS and use the second to highest setting. IE if you have DDR688, DDR720, DDR844, or DDR1088 then use DDR844.

Tested both sticks in DOS memtest and it's not good.

One stick booted at DDR 1109 4-4-4-12 @ 2,4V. As soon memtest started it was red. ALL red. I stopped it around 100 000 errors in test #1.

The other stick didn't boot at all on the same settings the other one did:confused:. It did however boot on DDR 800 but anything above that it just froze.

I'm outta of ideas on how to get it to boot.

• Corsair Employees
Are the modules stable running at 1066MHz at Cas 4? This board was not around while these modules were in production, so it may take a little trial and error to find out where the system will top out. If the system is stable at 1066MHz Cas 4, then you will want to gradually increase your FSB in order to creep the memory frequency up slowly from 1066MHz, until you are able to reach 1111MHz or close to it. Keep in mind that increasing your FSB is technically overclocking your CPU, and the overclocking margin of your CPU may vary.

• Corsair Employees

First write down any settings that you want to remember for future use in your BIOS. Next load setup defaults and manually configure the following settings:

Memory Voltage: 2.4v (Make sure you are using the included Dominator Fan)

Memory Frequency: 1066MHz

TCL: 4

TRCD: 4

TRP: 4

TRAS: 12

Command Per Clock: 2T

Test the configuration with http://www.memtest.org, and let us know if you are getting errors, and if so, which tests are you getting errors on? If you do get errors, you will want to test the modules one at a time in the slot closest to the CPU, to see if you can isolate a failing module. For testing purposes leave all other CPU and memory settings at the automatic or default values. Let us know your results!

• 3 weeks later...

FSB: 800

Timings: 5-5-5-18

Volt: 2.4 (Fan mounted) plus 1x120mm Fan blowing from the side

Memtest result after 1min from start on first test

55 000 errors.

Can we confrim this RAM as bad?

I tried both sticks in the socket closest to CPU. On of them is really bad, the other one goes a little bit higher befor crashing.

Best regards

/Tobias L

• Corsair Employees

We can try replacing the memory for you if you would like, just use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

With two modules failing individually, that could indicate an issue with the motherboard. If the board can not run the modules at these settings, then no replacement module will resolve your problems. I would suggest that you load defaults in the BIOS, set the memory voltage to 2.1 volts and see if you still get errors with both modules individually.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again!

I've tried the sticks on a GB EX38-DS4, And that was a no go. After 30sec i got about 6000 errors on test 1. Everything was on Auto on the memory, except the Voltage. I also tried my friends Dominators 2x1 GB 8500 on the same board and they ran fine.

What should i do now?

Best regards

Tobias L

• Corsair Employees
I didn't touch the settings for the CPU. It ran in default speed. I just put the settings on the memory on auto and raised the volt to 2.4.

Let's get them replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived