Corsair Community

Intel P875 memory help

lazyade

Hi folks, a bit of guidance appreciated... I've just built a new system around an Intel OEM D875PBZ motherboard and a P4 3.2ghz 800FSB chip. I wanted to know the best memory (Corsair of course) to buy. I have heard dual-channel is the way to go, I know PC3200 is what my board is designed for but as I say, I want to get the best performance. The PC will be used predominantly for gaming. I wouldn't say I'm an enthusiast, I just want to get the best out of my system. Can I go for a faster memory ? Will the Bios allow me to use a faster memory ? I think I may have screwed up though as I have bought a single XMS 512mb module (CMX512-3200C2PT). I've heard I can get better performance from a dual-channel configuration. I also believe Corsair Twinx is the way to go but I don't know what speed to get. I currently only get around 2919 MB/s on Sandra for the system, the i875 reference system says I should get around 5000 MB/s. Any advice appreciated, I have tried reading through some of the existing posts but can't seem to get the guidance I'm looking for. Thanks - Adrian

I have the same motherboard and the same processor. I bought a corsair twinX kit from zipzoomfly.com, it is basically 2 512MB sticks that have been tested and verified that they work well in a dual channel system. They seem to work great for me, but now I want to stack some more memory on! You may see my post below yours, I have questions about latency. From what I have read, the performance really increases when you take advantage of dual channel memory, you have GOT to get another stick! As far as faster memory goes, you are using PC3200 at 400Mhz, which is the best the board supports. I think you are on the right track as far as what memory you chose, you just need 1 more stick! by the way, I am no memory expert so don't take everything I say as fact. --Dan [quote name='lazyade']Hi folks, a bit of guidance appreciated... I've just built a new system around an Intel OEM D875PBZ motherboard and a P4 3.2ghz 800FSB chip. I wanted to know the best memory (Corsair of course) to buy. I have heard dual-channel is the way to go, I know PC3200 is what my board is designed for but as I say, I want to get the best performance. The PC will be used predominantly for gaming. I wouldn't say I'm an enthusiast, I just want to get the best out of my system. Can I go for a faster memory ? Will the Bios allow me to use a faster memory ? I think I may have screwed up though as I have bought a single XMS 512mb module (CMX512-3200C2PT). I've heard I can get better performance from a dual-channel configuration. I also believe Corsair Twinx is the way to go but I don't know what speed to get. I currently only get around 2919 MB/s on Sandra for the system, the i875 reference system says I should get around 5000 MB/s. Any advice appreciated, I have tried reading through some of the existing posts but can't seem to get the guidance I'm looking for. Thanks - Adrian[/QUOTE]

• Corsair Employees
lazyade, I would suggest using a Twinx set for best compatibility and performance. You can use 2 single modules, but I would ask your reseller to see if they can match the same part# and revision for best performance. In addition, the suggested settings for 2 single modules of XMS3200C2 would be Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and would need to be manually set!

Archived