Corsair Community

Asus SK8V and CMX512RE-3500LLPT

Trayal

Greets all! :) I just purchased an Asus SK8V motherboard, Opteron 146, and two sticks of CMX512RE-3500LLPT registered/ecc ram. I am having some system instability issues when I try to run the ram at its rated 433MHz speed. I've done some basic troubleshooting to narrow down what is going on. 1) Run everything stock, with exception of ram which is at 400MHz 2) Dropped hypertransport from 800MHz to 600MHz 3) Dropped speed of ram 4) Enabled ECC checking The stock setting resulted in a perfectly stable system. When I raise the 'bus' to 217MHz instead of 200, the processor is clocked at 2170MHz, and the ram at 433MHz... and the system is unstable. prime95 will crash right away. Lowering hypertransport didn't seem to make any difference Running the processor at its overclocked speed at 2170MHz, but dropping the ram speed to 333MHz resulted in a prime95 perfectly stable system... so looking like it is the ram. Finally, I enabled ECC on the ram, and ran it at 433MHz as was unstable before... the system is now perfectly stable, but my sandra memory benchmark has dropped from 5900mb/s to 5400mb/s. So, looks like something is going on with the RAM. I've also tried running the ram at all voltages available in the bios (latest 1002.19 beta) up to 2.8v... voltage doesn't seem to make any difference. I haven't had the time to test the two sticks individually yet... i will do that tonight after work. Anyway, are there any known compatibility issues with the SK8V and CMX512RE-3500LLPT? Or do I have a defective stick or two or ram that I need to RMA? Edit: Oh, and the RAM times are as set by SPD. To anybody that answers, thanks for your help!

• Corsair Employees
I would suggest you enable ECC if you will run them at the rated settings. If you disable ECC you may have to relax the timings; that is normal. In addition, with ECC enabled you are adding an extra bit to the data for integrity, so that is why the benchmark will drop slightly! Please do test the modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] and lets make sure one is not failing!

Archived