Corsair Community

Trouble with slow memory when overclocking P4C800-E Deluxe

Hi, I have the following setup: 3.2GHz P4 Asus P4C800-E Deluxe 2x 512MB Corsair Platinum 3200 C2 I'm OCing the FSB, and currently have it at 220MHz (up from 200MHz). Only trouble is that the memory benchmarks (using SiSoft Sandra) came up slower than before i upped the FSB. Now I know my memory is rated at 400MHz, but I thought that you could still push it higher. The BIOS settings are a bit confusing. The DDR speed can only be set to 266, 333, 400 and Auto. I've tried setting it to 400 but the system won't boot - only Auto works and then the memory runs at "2x146MHz", according to Sandra. I've got the DDR Voltage set to 'Auto', but not having played with memory voltages before I'm a bit nervous about changing it. Does anyone have any ideas how I can get the memory to O/C synchronously with the FSB?? Thanks in advance, Mike

yeah man well if your running the dual channel you may have issues with the dividers so sticking 1:1 is what ya wanna do, if you want to [I]try[/I] to push your memory up higher than its rated speed then you would want to raise that Vdimm voltage a bit, i read somewhere in these forums up to 2.9vdimm is ok for corsairs later modules, but more importantly you may have to loosen your memory timings; have you got them detected by spd? try manual and find the timings in the forum here in the stick "XMS Settings here" and go up from there. i mean CL2 is nice but if your pushing higher you might have to loosen that a bit with the other timings. Just me but generally with the high end ddr you will get 10-20 mhz ddr overclock from rated speed; no i dont know how new ya are to this but the way around that sorta is to "underclock" the memory with a divider so you can raise the FSB example 320mhz mode in bios is equal to 5/4 of the speed of the memory. 266 = 3/2 so if your FSB is 250 (w/ 320mhz mode) you divide that by 5 and multiply by 4 = 200Mhz 400Mhz DDR but now your FSB is 250. OR if you have FSB 275 divide 3 multply 2 = 183mhz 366mhz ddr. that might help a little. [B]BUT[/B] i tell ya Dual Channel; booting with dividers hasnt been good for me, granted i have been using FSB over 250 but i know with my P4c800 deluxe that it wont boot dual channel past 250 fsb no matter what tweaking, Single channel it runs fine, i think people talk about this somehwere, it cant be just me i just havnt looked it up, but Single channel boots fine with high end FSB tho i think my processor maxs at 3.5Ghz. BUT take the dual channel over single channel, you just might have to cough up some dough for some faster memory so you can run dual channel. But you can do what i did, just sell what you have; and spend a little more. i dunno it that will help. smoke on with the neons.

Thanks for the comments! I used some suggested settings from Corsair, and set the RAM to 2.5-3-3-7 at 2.75V. The voltage change allowed me to start with the RAM set to 400. Now things are stable with an FSB of 220 and the RAM effectively at 440MHz. Your comments about 'underclocking' the RAM confirmed my suspicions about how to do this. I'm going to try to push things a bit further, but it seems that the AGP and DDR voltages and timings are going to be the limiting factor. Thanks again! Mike

Archived