Corsair Community

Memtest Failure on 1 Stick Twin2x4096-8500C5DF

curlysir

Memory is TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF

New system built in late July 2008. Started getting daily BSOD about a week ago and corrupted backup files. Downloaded copy of Memtest86+ version 2.01 today.

Ran test with both sticks and got over 100 errors. Ran test on each stick. I stick tests good after numerous tests. Other Stick had 12 errors on 1st test, 2nd test has 28 errors. Memory in same slot and same setting in Bios. Voltage is at 2.1 V.

Is it time for an RMA?

With ASUS motherboards make SURE you have the sticks in the right slots in the right order....then if they get errors RMA them....personally I've never gotten a bad stick of Corsair RAM :)

1st time for everything! I didn't want to believe it either. But the el cheapo ******** I had bought passed the test with both sticks and individually changing nothing but the voltage. So I really thing I have a bad stick.

Edit added: I just noticed that this site blocks the names of other brands. No free advertisements.

Let's get them replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.

I submitted the RMA Request before I got your reply and therefore did not check the square by "I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy". Will that cause a delay in getting the RMA number? I did reference my original post in the TSX Ticket #/ Forum Post ID #

• 3 weeks later...

Memory is TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF, MB is Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe, CPU is AMD Phenom 9950

Received my replacement memory today.

Installed and ran memtes86+ with both modules and got errors on test 5 & 7. Ran tests on modules 1 at a time and they past. At least that is an improvement as the previous set had 1 module that would not pass.

Settings in bios are voltage 2.1, 1067, 5-5-5-5-15, 2T enabled. Everything else is auto. No overclocking.

Is this memory bad also or do I need to change something else in bios. With the memory passing individually I think it is ok, but that may not be the case.

Suggestions?

• Corsair Employees
First make sure you have the latest version of the BIOS. Then I would try testing the modules in a different slot to see if you can isolate a problematic slot on the board. If you do not find a failing slot, then I would install the modules in single channel mode (normally you can do this by installing both modules each in a different color DIMM slot) and see if you are only having problems in dual channel. Your settings look good, let us know your results!

Swapping the modules to the A1 & B1 slots appears to have fixed the problem. The memory passed the memtest 86+ with both modules. I don't really understand why as Brand X memory will pass the test at 1066 in the A2 & B2 slots at the same 5-5-5-15 settings. But the Corsair has to be in the A1 & B1 slots to work, at least on this particular MB.

The only problem now is that I have an interference problem between the HSF and the memory I have to solve. That is why I had the memory in the other slots.

If the other memory modules are working in those slots, you may want to try updating your BIOS and see if anything changes, otherwise you may want to contact Asus to see if they would want to replace the board for you.

The bios is the latest available. I also had trouble with another brand in the slots. However one of those sticks was also bad, it would cause the computer to go to black screen when installed. The slots work fine if I am running the memory at 800. I will try the other brand when it is is returned. I am curious to see if is it just Corsair memory that doesn't like the A2 & B2 slots.

• Corsair Employees
Let us know how the replacement set works out. If at any point you would like to get the Corsair memory replaced we can do that for you, but if the modules are working in the other DIMM slots, then I would suspect an issue with the board.

Let us know how the replacement set works out. If at any point you would like to get the Corsair memory replaced we can do that for you, but if the modules are working in the other DIMM slots, then I would suspect an issue with the board.

Something must have not been right with this memory as 1 stick failed shortly after I replaced the MB with a Asus M3A79-T Deluxe http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73104.

This make 2 sets that I have had 1 module go bad. Hope the third set is better. In both cases 1 stick was definitely bad and another brand memory would work in the same slots without problems. I am using the recommended voltage and I am not overclocking the system. Heat is not a problem as the system is well ventilated and not running hot. Both sets ran for a short period before failure, the 1st failed after a month, the 2nd set lasted less then 2 weeks. The module that does not fail will work in any slot and at the recommended 1066 settings without problems.

Has there been a higher then normal failure rate in this particular memory or am I just having a bad streak of luck?

• Corsair Employees

The only other component that might cause memory issues would be the memory controller, which is embedded on the CPU. At this point, we can try replacing the modules for you, but if you have similar issues in the future with multiple modules, there may be an issue with the CPU/memory controller, and that would be the next thing I would replace.

You can use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

The only other component that might cause memory issues would be the memory controller, which is embedded on the CPU. At this point, we can try replacing the modules for you, but if you have similar issues in the future with multiple modules, there may be an issue with the CPU/memory controller, and that would be the next thing I would replace.

You can use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

I have already submitted an RMA as the system will not work with the bad module installed. The Corsair module that has failed will not even let the system go to bios when it is installed. I have only had trouble with 1 module of a set, the other module of the pair would run and boot in all slots. And the bad module whether it was Corsair or Brand X would fail regardless of what slot or speed it was in. 1 of the brand X modules was DOA, the replacements arrived today and are currently installed and running at rated speed of 1066. I have 1 set of Brand Y that has not failed and it is the only way I have been able to keep this computer running the last few weeks. Brand Y ran at 1066 and ran for 3 weeks without problems while I was waiting for replacement memory to arrive.

Are you saying that a bad CPU/memory controller would cause a memory module to become unusable in some way?

Archived