Corsair Community

Voltage specs have been changed for some memory modules -- what happened?

lalittle

I just noticed that the voltage specs on the Corsair site have changed for some of the memory modules listed for my motherboard (Asus P5E3 Deluxe WiFi.) I printed out some Corsair spec sheets for my motherboard a while back when I purchased a pair, and they list the voltage for the TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX as 1.5V, and the voltage for the TW3X4G1333C9DHX as 1.7V. I actually have two different sheets right in front of me -- one is from Feb 2008 while the other is from July 2008, and they agree on these voltages.

The current specs on the Corsair site, however, lists the same model numbers as being slightly different. The TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX is now listed as 1.6V (.1V higher than before), and the TW3X4G1333C9DHX is now 1.6V (.1V lower than before.) There is no indication that a new revision of these models require different voltage -- it seems as if Corsair just changed the voltage ratings on these modules.

I'm using the TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX sticks at 1.5V -- should I change the voltage to 1.6V as per the new info, or should I just leave it at the motherboard's "default" 1.5 volts. Everything seems stable, but I want to use the "correct" setting.

Does anyone know why the specs were changed?

Thanks,

Larry

The IC's have changed is why the Voltage change and it will be printed on the modules.

Thanks -- I didn't remember seeing the voltage on the actual sticks.

Does this mean that I can't mix older sticks with new sticks even if they're the exact same model?

Thanks,

Larry

• Corsair Employee
I would never suggest mixing memory on any of our modules and we have always suggested getting the memory you plan on using when you build the system. And officially we will only support the tested settings with how they are sold IE: One Twin2x2048-8500C5D will run at DDR1066 in an approved MB but two sets would not be guaranteed at that spec. DDR667 or DDR800 would be suggested in that case.

I would never suggest mixing memory on any of our modules and we have always suggested getting the memory you plan on using when you build the system. And officially we will only support the tested settings with how they are sold IE: One Twin2x2048-8500C5D will run at DDR1066 in an approved MB but two sets would not be guaranteed at that spec. DDR667 or DDR800 would be suggested in that case.

Thanks.

I guess the days of "adding" memory to an existing configuration are a thing of the past.

Larry

• Corsair Employee
I am sorry but yes memory is changing so fast and the production life is about 6 months for memory IC's so yes its best to plan on buying what you need or replacing all of it rather then trying to upgrade. Not to mention as the frequency has risen the MB's and memory controllers are not as forgiving.

• 4 months later...

Following on from this thread, I am using 8GB (4x2GB) of CorsairTwinX XMS3, DDR3 PC3-10600 (1333MHz) memory. I bought the first 4GB and then a few months later, the second 4GB. 2 sticks are rated on the actual sticks as 1.6V while the second 2 sticks are rated at 1.7V.

My system never runs 100% stable, typically shutting down once or twice during the initial boot process (before Windows starts loading) and I have wondered if this is a memory related issue.

Can I run these 2 batches of memory on the same system and if yes, what are the relevant settings/adjustments that I should make to my BIOS.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

• Corsair Employee
Following on from this thread, I am using 8GB (4x2GB) of CorsairTwinX XMS3, DDR3 PC3-10600 (1333MHz) memory. I bought the first 4GB and then a few months later, the second 4GB. 2 sticks are rated on the actual sticks as 1.6V while the second 2 sticks are rated at 1.7V.

My system never runs 100% stable, typically shutting down once or twice during the initial boot process (before Windows starts loading) and I have wondered if this is a memory related issue.

Can I run these 2 batches of memory on the same system and if yes, what are the relevant settings/adjustments that I should make to my BIOS.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

You may simply need to raise your memory controller 1-3 steps above the stock setting as you have doubled the load on the memory controller by adding 2 more modules. However, if you are in fact mixing revisions there is no guarantee of stability. You will have to test it to see if these 2 revisions will run together.

The details on the first two memory sticks are:

CM3X2048-1333C9DHX

XMS3-1333 2048MB 1333MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.70V vers 3.2 08290070

The references on the second two memory sticks are:

CM3X2048-1333C9DHX

XMS3-1333 2048MB 1333MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.60V vers 8.1 08401016

1. So do you think these pairs of memory sticks can be used together?

I also now have some additional questions:

2. When you say "raise your memory controller 1-3 steps ", what does this mean? What is the name of the BIOS parameter that I adjust.

3. I have updated my ASUS P5E3 Deluxe Ai Tweaker BIOS settings as follows:

AI Overclock: Manual

CPU Control: AUTO

FSB Frequency: 333 MHz

PCIE Frequency: AUTO

DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1333 MHz

DRAM Timings Control: Manual

CAS# Latency:___________9

RAS# to CAS# Delay:______9

RAS# Precharge:__________9

RAS# Activate to Precharge:24

DRAM Static Read Control: Disabled

DRAM Dynamic Write Control: Disabled

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled

PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Voltage:__________1.4500V

CPU PLL Voltage:_______1.6V

DRAM Voltage:_________1.5V

FSB Termination Voltage:_1.3V

North Bridge Voltage:____1.55V

All settings not listed left at AUTO or BIOS Default

Are these the correct settings?

4. With these settings, 2 of the voltages (sorry, I didn't note which) now appear in yellow text - should I worry about this?

5. Finally, my system is dual boot. When I shut down in Windows XP, the computer shuts down properly. However, when I shut down in Windows Vista Home Premium, it shuts down fully, including all of the fans stopping, waits about 5 seconds, and then automatically restarts - any ideas what's causing this problem and how to fix it?

Many thanks in advance for your help - it is much appreciated.

• Corsair Employee

Mixing 2 different memory types can be problematic and they may not run together. In this case, you should set your memory voltage to 1.7v and drop the memory frequency to 1066.

Memory controller voltage = North Bridge Voltage:____1.55V

You may need to go 1-3 steps above whatever your stock North Bridge voltage is since you are running 4 modules.

Many thanks for your help on this.

I now have all 4 memory sticks installed and took particular care to make sure that the pair in the first two slots were the 1.7V ones, and in the second two slots, the 1.6V ones.

I thought I would try the system without initially changing the memory voltage and memory frequency...

After 2 days of use, so far so good - perhaps my problems are solved.

Thanks again and kind regards.

• 3 months later...

So fast forward to May 2009 and my system is crashing the whole time -recently 10 times in 20 minutes. In fact, following my last post, it never did run stable for any length of time, but would BSOD or shut down on a random basis.

I have spoken to both Asus and Corsair technical support and they both confirmed your previous advice that I can't mix the memories - even with the BIOS adjustments you suggested it is still unstable (not to mention that slowing the frequency defeats the object of having bought a high spec motherboard and memory in the first place).

Therefore I now need replacement memory of the same type - two new CM3X2048-1333C9DHX XMS3-1333 2048MB 1333MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.60V sticks. I.e. I will then have 4 sticks all at 1.60V.

I bought the memory from Scan and they have advised that provided Corsair will restock them, they will replace the memory free of charge. The reason for this is that the voltage details are not given when you buy the memory and that therefore, I could not have reasonably been expected to know that the voltages had changed, when the product number was the same.

Please can you advise me if you are able to contact/work with Scan to help to resolve this frustrating situation, or if Corsair can deal with it directly.

Many thanks.

Just wanted to add a PS - I see that over 1,400 people have read this post - many many more than most others. Therefore can I humbly suggest that Corsair need to take a proper look at this issue and update your product serial numbers and packaging accordingly.

Looking forward to your help with my previous post.

Many thanks and kind regards.

Just wanted to add a PS - I see that over 1,400 people have read this post
Most are just web spiders. That number is about right for a thread this old.

Either way, it's not a voltage issue, it really comes down to the memory controllers not liking different ICs (version numbers). Different versions = different ICs used. No one can guarantee what hasn't been tested, e.g. mixing version #s. Corsair will RMA the memory if you want, but they can't guarantee what version # you'll get back. Your best bet would be to talk to Corsair's Customer Service dept. after you get an RMA. They may be able to help you out.

Many thanks for coming back to me and am happy to contact Corsair tech support again. However, 2 questions before I do:

First, how can I check that all of my memory has the same IC - where do I find this information? (or are these the long numbers in my post from 8 January 2009)

Second, do I have to start over again with all 8GB of my memory coming from the same production batch if I want to guarantee the same IC number?

Thanks in advance for your advice and kind regards.

Looking again at your advice that suggests this is not a voltage issue, does that contradict the Ramguy's advice of 8 January 2009.
No, as he never said it was a voltage issue either, but a "memory type" issue. He meant IC. Either way as long as the version #s are the same you'll have the best chance at maximum compatibility, HOWEVER, this is not the same as guaranteed compatibility, nor does this get around the fact that when you max out the # of sticks, the memory contoller is under full load and may not be able to run 4 sticks @ their rated speeds. You may simply be under a limitation of the memory controller, and may want to try dropping the speed down a notch.

Sorry but the story continues.

After the latest BSODs/shut downs tonight, have just tried removing my 4GB of 1.7V memory (ie 2 sticks) and the BSODs/shut downs continued.

Then tried just one of the 1.6V sticks and the computer would not even start.

Took this stick out and used the other single 1.6V stick and the computer is working fine (at least during load up and for the last 30 minutes/while writing this post),

Could this mean that I have a bad 1.6V memory stick - what do I do about it? (memory was bought less than 12 months ago and looks like it may not be of merchantible quality per the UK Sale of Goods Act 1979. "Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale)").

Looking forward to hearing from you and thanks again.

Many thanks.

Should I just return the 1.6V pair of sticks? I am worried that when I receive the replacement pair I will still have the issue of trying to use two 1.6V sticks and two 1.7V sticks, and that these will be different version numbers.

Would it not be safer to return all four sticks and start over (even if I will then be computerless until the new sticks arrive)? This would really be my preferred route since I have suffered long enough and have no interest in changing the sticks other than to have the reliable memory that I paid for in the first place!

Would much appreciate your further advice.

Kind regards.

Archived