Corsair Community

8gb RAM for the ASUS Crosshair II Formula

Konig-Wolf

Hello,

I am planning on building a computer in the near future, based around the ASUS Crosshair II Formula motherboard and an AMD Phenom 9850 processor. I intend to run Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit on the computer, and would like to go up to 8gb of RAM with this build.

My question is, for this board, what sets of RAM would be the best for building up to 8gb on this board? The Corsair Memory Configurator recommends these modules:

TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX

TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX

TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF*

*The ASUS website has only the TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF listed on their QVL list for memory out of sets above.

If I go with the two sets of the TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF, can I expect to run the modules at their full speed and rated timings? I've heard there are issues due to processor limitations at the current time that prevent a board with all it's DIMMs loaded from being able to run RAM at it's full speed. If so, what kind of speed can I expect from the modules, and what timing adjustments will I need to make in order to ensure system stability?

Also, are there any other sets that would be recommended for an 8GB configuration on this motherboard? My main desire is stability, followed by performance, so if I need to spend a bit more for a different module set, that's okay.

Thank you for your time.

BTW, if you need information on what the final build is going to look like, I'll post that here:

Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair II Formula

Processor: AMD Phenom 9850

RAM: Two sets of TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF (tentative)

Hard Drives: Three Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB (non-RAID)

Video Card: EVGA 01G-P3-1284-AR GeForce GTX 280 SSC Edition

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series

Power Supply: Corsair CMPSU-1000HX

Optical Drives: Two LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe IDE

Case: Antec Twelve-Hundred

Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit

They will run great in that MB and CPU just you have to over clock the CPU to get the full speed of the memory.

How much would I have to overclock the CPU by in order to get their full speed? Would it be better to go with DDR2 800mhz modules, such as two of the TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX or two of the TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX? I would prefer not to overclock if possible, but if need be, I will.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

I had 8GB of Dominator RAM working at 1066MHz on the Crosshair II. I didn't need to set any timings manually, just go into the BIOS and enable SLI memory and then select "maximum frequency" (or something like that). I ran memtest86 overnight and it didn't give any errors and the system seemed stable (BIOS v2402, PhenomII 940 3.0GHz, 8GB of CM2X2048-8500C5D memory as 4x2GB).

I was surprised how easy it was to get 8GB working at 1066MHz because I'd heard that a lot of people have trouble with this motherboard. Maybe I was just lucky...

I recently upgraded my CPU heatsink to a Noctua NH-U12P SE2 (and the CPU while I was at it to a PhenomII 965 C3/125W). Now the heatsink on the Dominator DIMM closest to the processor is too tall to fit underneath the big Noctua heatsink and I've had to downgrade to 2x2GB @ 1066MHz (but the CPU is icy cold!). I have some TWIN2X4096-8500C5 on order - hopefully they will work just as nicely as the Dominators did.

Archived