Corsair Community

ASUS P5Q-EM mainboard - What RAM for 8GB (as 4 x 2GB DIMMs)??

Gator141

I am researching a new HTPC build based on an ASUS P5Q-EM mainboard. The P5Q-EM is based on the new Intel G45 / ICH10R chipset - according to ASUS it has four DIMM slots each of which support up to 4GB DIMM's for a maximum of 16GB total. :cool:

I am looking for DDR2-800 RAM to populate this mainboard to a total of 8GB under Vista Ultimate 64-bit. ;):

The ASUS qualified vendor list document lists several Corsair kits... However since I am looking at fully populating all four DIMM slots (i.e. 4 DIMM sticks of 2GB each for total of 8GB ) , I thought I'd better check here as well before committing the dollars. ;):

Per ASUS there seem to be two different Corsair kits that might allow up to four total DIMM's (two kits) to be used:

TWIN2X4096-6400C5 (kit of 2 "CM2X2048-6400C5" DIMMs) - these are rated at 1.9volts, lower in height and less likely to have physical conflicts with large processor heatsinks, and cheaper too!

or

TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX (kit of 2 "CM2X2048-6400C4DHX" DIMMs) - these modules are rated at 2.1volts, taller and I fear they might physically conflict with a large processor heatsink, and more expensive than the former kits.

The ASUS QVL document lists the following memory as qualified, but only for up to two sticks, these do NOT support using all four sockets, thus only 4GB is possible with these:

TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX (kit of 2 "CM2X2048-6400C5DHX" DIMMs) - which is puzzling as this latter kit is the only one rated at 1.8v, the two former kits require higher vDIMM to operate.

Does the RAM GUY have any suggestions or comments on the compatibility of putting 8GB (as 4 sticks of 2GB each) on the ASUS P5Q-EM mainboard, and if so, which part#'s should I use?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Archived