Corsair Community

Is my HX1000W faulty?

jeston

Hello, I just recently bought an HX1000W power supply and am not sure if there is something wrong with it or not. The problem I was having was that my computer was turning off randomly throughout the day (even when idle). I also bought an HD 4870 at the same time, so I figured it was one or the other.

So anyway, without warning the computer would turn off, no BSOD, no shutting down, just no power. The other stuff it is powering includes a Q9450, GA-x38-ds4 motherboard, 4 hard drives, and a bunch of case fans. For my graphics card, I was using the two PCI-e cables coming out of the PSU by default. However, after switching the cables to two cables that are plugged in to the blue slots, I have not witnessed any power failures. Is this expected behavior? I know 1000 Watts is way overkill for what it's powering right now, so that's why I'm here. I also just purchased another 4870 for crossfire and am worried I won't be able to use it if my PSU is not giving me sufficient power. Was I just overloading one of the rails?

I thought of that as well, but since upgrading, I've been hawking my temperatures constantly and my CPU never goes above 55C. My GPU doesn't go above 65C. All other temps stay in normal operating levels as well.

Sorry for bumping, but after looking at the 12V rail diagram, I realized that by going from the two default PCIe plugs to the outer two with the blue cords, I put my card on 12V1 with the mobo and CPU. That leads me to believe that perhaps my 12V2 is a little weak. Unfortunately, I really have no way of testing my theory except by plugging the card into the other two blue plugs putting it back on 12V2 to see if my problem returns. The problem is, I won't be back home to test it until Monday. Does any of this sound viable though?

• Corsair Employees

Do you have your second video card yet? I would double check your findings with the new card, and if the results are the same, then we should replace the PSU for you.

You can use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived