Corsair Community

12volt rails show 9volt on everest

whowalks

Hi I recently built a new rig with a evga 750i board powered by a hx620 psu, during the last stages of the build the psu made a popping sound and a flash came out of the psu!! shorting out the house!! I thought oh **** and unplugged everything.

But when I turned it all back on everything was good :o:, I couldn't smell anything burnt in the psu and the case has performed well.

Ive had this case up and running with some small OC for the last 4 days, but when I checked everest unlimited it show the 12 volt rail running at 9 volts.:eek:

is this just misreporting from the motherboard or did something fry during the build?? in other words do I need to replace this PSU?

Software readings are mostly inaccurate, a digital multi meter will give you the most accurate figures. However, since you've had an incident of the PSU sparking, I wouldn't trust your unit to keep the computer running.

You say "during the last stages of the build", this was during the installation of software after powering up, right?

• Corsair Employee

If a flash came from the PSU then let's get it replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

The 9v reading that you are getting is not accurate, the system would not power on if this were the actual reading.

the retailer took it back and replaced it with a new one :D:

Thanks for the help

Oh and the new one still reads 9v on the 12 volt rail :roll: LOL

I tried a newer version of everest but still the same problem, by the by its on a Evga 750 FTW board (for anyone doing a search)

• Corsair Employee
the retailer took it back and replaced it with a new one :D:

Thanks for the help

Oh and the new one still reads 9v on the 12 volt rail :roll: LOL

I tried a newer version of everest but still the same problem, by the by its on a Evga 750 FTW board (for anyone doing a search)

What reading do you get in the BIOS for the 12v?

Archived