Corsair Community

TWIN2X2048-8500C5D Upgrade Problem

Anarchangel

Hi all,

Ok, I just bought a the TWIN2X2048-8500C5D kit to add to my system. I realise that they will be limited to DDR800 instead of 1066 given my existing DIMM's, but all I'm interested in is getting them to work. Have tried them in the 2 empty slots and swapped them with the existing DIMM's, both resulted in no boot. When removed, I got a message saying "Overclock Failed" (Note; I did NOT attempt to OC), then it let me go back to default and boot.

I am certain my board/OS should be able to take these sticks. I'm not using the DDR3, or anything obviously wrong. I'm kinda stumped. The DRAM frequency in the BIOS should be 800 by default (well, "auto" which would set to 800 given the existing DIMM's), so that cool. I've also had advise to flash the m/b bios, which is dodgy, and change the NB voltage to 1.4v.

Help!

Mark.

• Corsair Employees
Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.1 volts (+.3 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Thanks for the reply. I have almost no idea what your answer meant though.

Dim voltage? Is this the same thing as DRAM voltage? If so, I assume this is changed in the BIOS. 2.1 volts (+.3 Volts W/Giga-Byte)? I do not understand this at all.

I've been told to change DIM voltage, DRAM frequency, NB voltage, flash the BIOS, etc etc. I don't even know how to use memtest.

No-one seems to have the same answer, and I seem to have to change 100 things. ALL I want is to get 4GB stable, nothing more. This is RAM, I thought it was gonna be pretty much plug 'n' play!

M.

• Corsair Employees
Dim voltage? Is this the same thing as DRAM voltage? If so, I assume this is changed in the BIOS. 2.1 volts (+.3 Volts W/Giga-Byte)? I do not understand this at all.

A: Yes and the default voltage is 1.8 Volts but some MB's do not use standard naming conventions like Gigabyte MB's the setting would be +.3 Volts to get 2.1 Volts.

And with 4 modules you will have to slow the memory frequency down to DDR667 or DDR800 also in your BIOS.

• 4 weeks later...

No joy. This is what I did:

Restarted - went into BIOS, Jumperfree Config.

Changed DRAM Freq. to 667

Changed DRAM Volt. to 2.1v

Changed NB Voltage to 1.4v

Saved, exited, shutdown. Put the 2 new sticks into B1/B2, power on.

NO BOOT. The tower powers up, but the monitor doesn't register anything.

????????????????

M.

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 or DDR800 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.05 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Archived