Corsair Community

Computer shuts down

darkhon

Here is the short story:

I bought a brand new powerful computer from a boutique PC maker.

I am not an electrician type, so buying and using a "Multi-meter" is beyond my skill and/or interest. I just wanted to buy a functional computer and use it.

PROBLEM: The computer will randomly shut down and then not power back on for 20-30 minutes.

Symptoms: It was happening frequently when I had a 1300 VA UPS hooked up to it, so I moved the computer power directly to the wall outlet and bypassed the UPS thinking the UPS was just not powerful enough. This seemed to make the mask the shutdown for several weeks, however even though I have changed nothing it has recently started powering down at randome every 30 minutes or so.

My suspicion: The powersupply is over/under is being tripped somehow.

Even though the computer will not power up, when the power button is on a small blue LED light IS on. To me this sounds like a key peice of information, that maybe you can help with?

I have reset the cmos settings, they just sold it to me as the latest bios, I have checked the voltage through the cmos and the heat and neither of those seem to be at issue. The fans seem to work great.

Is the 750W power supply overkill?

could this be the root of my problem?

Can you recommend solutions that do not involve complex/intrusive changes on my part? (In other words, if the solution starts with "First open the case, then put a wire to another wire and short the.." then that is beyond my abilities.

additional question, is the 1300 VA UPS sufficient for this computer, or do I really need to invest 300 more dollars in a 1500 VA UPS (Which is the highest I can find available in retail outlets/for home use)

I bought a brand new powerful computer from a boutique PC maker.
I would contact them first under their warranty, as their RMA process (if needed) may be quicker. Also, depending on their warranty system, they may send a tech to you for free.

I've contacted them, I am not asking for advice on whether or not to contact them.

One of the challenges with asking for help, is it often comes in one of two varieties:

1- Contact someone else.

2- Open up the case, now get out an expensive tool that only electricians and certified engineers should use, attach the blue wire to the green, but make sure to... (too complex)

I just need a little help as to what the problem may be, so I do appreciate the advice, but let me clarify;

They aren't sure what the problem is. They said it maybe the UPS is underpowered for this powersupply.

So first question, do you know if that could be true with this UPS?

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=BR1300LCD&total_watts=200

Second question, does it seem possible that the Corsair 750 W powersupply could be somehow getting not enough juice from the wall, or too much fluctuation and just cutting off and on?

Third Question, is there something simple I can do configuration wise in the software or CMOS to make the power supply NOT do that so often?

It is changed how I type posts. I have to HOPE the computer doesn't just switch off before I can even save this.

It's 780W, and the PSU is 750W max, so it's enough, although if other devices are connected to it, and everything connected hits a peak load, then you may overload it.

Your issue could be electrical, or heat related. Could be the heat sink not properly seated, and the built in safety settings are shutting down after hitting a critical temp (which is a GOOD thing), or could be an electrical issue w/ the mobo, PSU, or wall outlet).

Its not getting hot.

I've been running all kinds of checks on that.

Its also shutting down when plugged into the wall or the non battery backup outlets on the UPS. Not as often as the UPS though.

is there a way I can tweak it so it won't shut off automatically? (without a lot of technical knowledge?)

Is it possible that I need a BIGGER power supply?

I have this wall of fans attached to the PC. Is it possible that 750 W was too modest?

I had only considered that it was too much, because the UPS I have which is fairly high end, can barely handle it.

How can I determine what is needed?

• Corsair Employees

The TX750 has plenty of power for your system. If you are having random stability issues then you may want to try running Memtest86 to make sure you do not have a memory related issue. Here are some detailed instructions to help you run Memtest.

Step:

1. Go to http://www.memtest.org and click on the "Download (Pre-built & ISOs)" link near the top of the page. This will take you further down the page to the download section.

2. The most common way to run Memtest is to burn it to a CD/DVD and boot the system from the disc, so you will want to click on the "Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)" link. Make sure you are downloading the most up to date version of Memtest; the most current version will normally be listed first underneath a header with red text.

3. Once you have downloaded the .zip file you will need to extract the file inside. The easiest way to do this is to simply double-click the file you just downloaded, and then drag the file that you find inside to your desktop. The file you downloaded and the file you extract have very similar names, so try to make sure you know which is which. Once you have extracted the file that you need, please delete the .zip file which you originally downloaded, so you do not get the 2 files confused.

If you do not know which file is which, then you can right click each file and select "Properties" to view its file size. the file you are going to use will be larger than the .zip file, so you can delete the smaller file..

4. So now you have your .iso file and you are ready to make your Memtest disc. You will need to have some CD/DVD burning software installed such as Nero or Roxio, although there are many others which will work fine as well. You can not burn this correctly using the built in Windows burning utility. The easiest way to properly burn the disc is to right click the .iso file, select the "open with" option and then locate and select the CD/DVD burning software that you are going to use. When opening the file this way all proper settings should be automatically set, so just make sure you have a blank disc in your drive and click "Burn."

If you have trouble burning the disc this way then you will need to open your CD/DVD burning program and find the option that says "Burn Image to Disk", or "Burn Backup from .ISO file." Once you have selected the correct way to burn the disc, locate the Memtest .iso file on your desktop and either drag it into your programs burn window, or locate it using the built in browser in your program, and then click “Burn.”

5. Once you have successfully burned your Memtest disc, its time to run it. You will need to make sure that your BIOS has been setup to boot from your CD/DVD rom before your Hard Disk. Once you reboot your system you may need to "Hit any key to boot from CD/DVD" so keep your eyes peeled and hit a key when it requests it.

6. If everything was done right, then you should see a blue screen with a lot of numbers and progress bars. At the top right you will see a "Pass %" and a "Test %." The Pass % tells you how far you are from making one complete pass through Memtest. The Test % tells you how far you are from completing the current test. There are 8 different tests, and once you make a full pass, Memtest will automatically loop back to the first test and start over. If you see the Pass % is over 100% then you have already made a full pass.

Let us know your results!

computer won't even turn on any more.

The LED lights will come on and I can press the power button and sometimes the blue lights on and the computer will start to boot up, but it always shuts down immediately.

no way to power it up. I ran a memtest before though and it indicated the memory itself was fine. I was a little concerned about the fans.

How can I be sure the 750W is correct?

The owners of the PC company that made it now agree with the Technician in a store that the computer may have been underpowered and are encouraging me to invest in a new power supply.

• Corsair Employees

If the system you are referring to is the same one in your profile, then our VX450 would easily power your system. I can assure you that you do not need more than 750 watts for this configuration. If anything, there could be a failing component in the PSU, but normally with random shut downs your problem will lie elsewhere than the PSU from what I have seen.

If you like we can certainly try replacing the unit for you. Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived