Corsair Community

Speed difference between older and newer Survivor drives?

anbu9

I recently purchased a 8gb Survivor drive and ran a benchmark test on it and the transfer rate for read is slower by almost 8mb / sec. The write speed is also slightly slower by a few hundred kilobytes per second. Is this normal for the newer drives compared to the models from last year?

The program I used is called "ATTO Disk Benchmark". Many websites use it to review flash drives.

Also, I put in a request for the little rubber ring (which is on the drive itself) for one of my older Survivor drives last month and I have not received the rubber ring or a email acknowledgment of the request. Is there something wrong?

Thanks for the help.

• Corsair Employee

Please try to format the drive from a command prompt with this syntax:

Format (X:) /FS:FAT32 /U (X=the drive letter assigned to the Flash Voyager) then try the HDBENCH v3.40 Beta 6 to test the performance. And please do a full format of the drive before you run the test and set it to 100 MB file size.

And let me know the results and resubmit the request for the O_Ring and we will try it again.

The format of the drives helped, but whats the difference between formatting using the command prompt and right-clicking on the drive and using that format??

Also, the program which I used gave a bump in speed read/writes but there is still a noticeable difference of about 8mb in the read for the 8GB version and 2mb for the write (do you want the random read/write numbers?). Would this affect the performance of portable programs run on the drive?

I will send another email for the O-rings again.

• Corsair Employee

That is about normal, and formatting from a command Prompt with the /U will check any bad sectors and correct them where as a Windows Format will not.

And as you put files on the drive it will slow down progressively more so than with a HDD.

Yea, I noticed the difference before and after I placed my data back on the drive. Thanks for pointing that out.

But there would still be a difference no matter what between the 4gb and 8gb survivor drives in terms of speed?

Archived