Corsair Community

A7N8X Deluxe with mobile 2500+ and pc4000

Jasonnin

I have XMS PC4000. And i am stuck at 200FSB. I cant go over or else i get errors in Memtest. 1361 errors to be exact. I put the voltage to 2.7, didnt help, i put the voltage to 2.8 same thing. I even put my multiplier @ 6.5 and then my FSB (with memory in sync) to 210. And it wouldnt run stable. For some reason 200FSB seems to be the limit. With my old memory, PC2100, i could get it upto 144 (11 mhz overclock) on the memory before things would start to act goofy. My system XMS pc4000 1 gig twinX (2 x 512) timings at 3 4 4 8 mobile amd athlon 2500+ 420 watt power supply a7n8x with bio's 1.07 What gives? Why can't I even come close to the 250mhz that this memory is rated for?

With that memory, it's probably not your RAM holding you back. It's probably the CPU which is causing problems, to be exact! If you have that memory set at the correct timings (CAS 3) then you can almost assuredly point to the chipset or CPU rather than the RAM. PLUR CK

I am fairly sure its not the CPU. I can overclock my athlon to 2.4 ghz, and it will be stable. With both this memory and the pc2100 memory. (however i have to run the pc2100 memory slower then the cpu FSB. And with this pc4000, i have to run it at 200.) Even if i put my multiplier at 7 and my FSB @ 215 that would equal 1.5 GHZ, my computer wont run stable. I guess, ill try a buddies computer to see if its the motherboard or not. Any other suggestions?

Have you run [url=www.memtest86.com]Memtest86[/url] on that system? It'll show you if you're getting memory errors which could be causing you problems. If you get errors, try the modules one at a time. However, when you say you can only OC to the same 2.4GHz with BOTH types of memory, that actually supports the idea that your CPU is holding you back. You should be able to OC more with the PC4000. Remember also, that the PC4000 is CAS 3 memory! Try going into BIOS under your "Advanced Chipset Options" page (I havn't looked in my BIOS in awhile, but I think that's it) and look to the memory timings! CAS RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD) RAS Precharge (tRP) Active Delay (tRAS) Command Rate DDR Voltage What are these values? PLUR CK

Well, i can achieve 2.4ghz, that is more then likely the max this cpu will go. However. I should be able to acheive a 250 FSB (because i have pc4000). That means, i should be able to set my computer to, multiplier 9.5 x 250 (fsb) = 2.375 ghz. But i cant get the FSB over 200. Yeah, i tried memtest86. I had the ddr volt at 2.8, timings at 3 - 4 - 4 - 8. I dont remmber about the T command ill have to check that.

Actually, that's incorrect. Just because the memory supports a 250MHz (500FSB) doesn't mean the CPU or the chipset does. In fact, you probably don't have a chance of getting there without an incredible cooling system and even more incredible luck. AMD CPU's don't overclock terribly high on the FSB. PC3700, 4000, & 4400 DDR speeds are actually meant for Intel based systems! Since other components speed up when you increase the memory speed (I.E. chipset) you have to look at the big picture! The overall speed on your CPU is only a small part of it. I stand by the conclusion that it's your CPU or chipset holding you back, however, there is some hope! Try starting at, say, 205MHz on the FSB, keeping the memory at 100%. Then increase it by 2MHz increments until it becomes unstable, then return to the last stable setting! You might be able to get a few more MHz out of the FSB this way, but if you just go right ahead and set it at 250MHz, then it's going to fail/be unstable because that's just too much of an OC for that CPU (and the mobo, for that matter). PLUR CK

Ill give that a try. But on a side note, my buddy has close the same setup. Same motherboard, same cpu, and PC3500 (Kingston hyper x) and he has hit 217FSB stably. I dont think i will, but ill give it a try. Thanks for the info.

I've seen others achieve ABOVE 220 fsb with that mobile 2500+, BUT only with some wicked-good cooling. Also, not all CPU's are created equal. Some overclock well, some don't. You need to remember that. When those came out, a number of guys at another forum I frequent all bought them and started turning them up to see what they would do. Some guys were able to OC them like mad, some guys couldn't keep it stable at 200. It's luck of the draw. Those XP's also seem to prefer a 1:1 ratio BTW. Also, make sure you have some really good cooling if you plan on leaving it cranked up like that. Personally, and don't take this the wrong way, it seems like you don't really have a solid grasp in how overclocking works. If I were in your shoes I would take a little more time to learn a tad more. Simply knowing HOW to change a few BIOS settings can get you into trouble if you don't understand WHAT they do, HOW they do it, WHY they do it, and how it effects other system components. That forum I mentioned earlier has a sticky about overclocking a CPU that goes into some good detail...I'll go get you a link.... OK....[URL=http://www.hardwarewiz.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=870]HERE YOU GO![/URL] Pop over ther and have a look. There's a ton of guys over there who also have that same CPU who could give you some great insight. Search the threads and you'll find a lot of info too. Good luck!

Archived