Corsair Community

problem booting from voyager

BigEHead

so this is a bizarre situation. i have 2 - 4gb flash voyagers. we use hp servers so we want to create usb bootable drives to install hp smartstart. one of them works great. i inherited the first stick, so i don't know how it was created but i'm assuming it was with hp's drive key boot utility. i've used the utility on the other stick but it will not boot. i've tried everything. no matter what i do, i get the error that says "boot failed." any suggestions? i've tried wiping the usb, using the hp usb disk storage format tool, and nothing helps. thanks.

--jake

• Corsair Employee
I would suggest talking to the person who created the first disk would be the easy way, but if that is not an option, I am not sure with out trying the software. send me an email with down load links for what you are trying to install and run and in clued a link to this post and ATT Ram Guy in the subject line and your contact information in the email and I will see what I can do.

Thanks RAM Guy. I figured it out after tinkering around for a bit. There were two problems actually.

1) HP's utility did not work. I don't know if it was my hardware or whatever. I found that HP uses syslinux.exe to make the drive bootable.

2) The syslinux.exe version that comes with the HP utility does not support FAT32 drives.

What I ended up doing was simply running a newer version of syslinux.exe that supports FAT32. And then it worked great.

Now I need to find out how to support 32GB drives.

Thanks RAM Guy for responding.

--jake

Archived