Corsair Community

Ram for Asus Striker II Extreme

bradical

I have looked at the the list though Corsair and can't decide between two models. Now I want to end with 8Gb total once all is said and done. The two I'm looking at are -TW3X4G1600C9DHX and TW3X4G1600C9DHXNV. They are both 4Gb kits with 9-9-9-24-2T. The second is SLI certified and thats seems to be the only diff I really see. I am running SLIed Nvidia GTX 260 cards and the 790i chip set. Should I go with the SLI Cert or pay less and go with the other model? One more thing I'm still a bit new with everything a noob if you will.

Had an additional thought. In the mobo's user manual it states

4 x DIMM, Max. 8 GB, DDR3 2000*/1800*/1600*/1333/800 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory

Dual channel memory architecture - supports NVIDIA® SLI™-ready technology

*Overclock speed

**Refer to http://www.asus.com or this user manual for the Memory QVL(Qualified Vendors Lidts).

This may sound dumb to some but, my question is if I go with the 1600 will my system still be stable if I don't overclock it. Or do I need to use 1333 mem if I don't overclock. Thanks

thanks for the reply, but will the ram run at 1333 automatically or do I need to set that manually (i'm a noob to this so please be patient). I'm not worried about overclocking I just want to make sure that if I get either of the two mem models I listed before that they will run stable with out much adjusting. Also would any one recommend the SLI certified model or should I go with the other?

• Corsair Employees
It will depend on the CPU you have installed but it will either be DDR1066 or DDR1333 and yes the settings would have to be manually set and you will not be able to use the EPP Profiles with more than two modules.

I shall be using a q9450, specs are as followed...

Model Q9450

Brand Intel

Processors Type Desktop

Series Core 2 Quad

CPU Socket Type LGA 775

Tech Spec

Core Yorkfield

Multi-Core Quad-Core

Name Core 2 Quad Q9450

Operating Frequency 2.66GHz

FSB 1333MHz

L2 Cache 12MB

Manufacturing Tech 45 nm

64 bit Support Yes

Hyper-Threading Support No

Virtualization Technology Support Yes

Multimedia Instruction MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4, EM64T

Voltage 0.85V – 1.3625V

Thermal Power 95W

how would I manually set the timing at 1333 and what is a EPP profile?:bigeyes: do you mean the timings ex:7-7-7-24 2t

• Corsair Employees
Just load setup defaults and then set the memory frequency at DDR1333 and set the memory Voltage to 1.8 Volts and set the NB Voltage to +.05 Volts and then test the system with http://www.memtest.org to make sure it is stable. Once you have done that and it is stable you can play with the timings to get better performance.

ok final thing til i get the mem in and get it up and going. you said +.05 for the NB. and I really appreciate all the help even though I'm lingering away from the original topic.

in bios the S2E has the extreme tweaker. under that is has over voltage. If I go in to that menu it will list

CPU: auto

NB: auto

SB: auto

Mem: auto

etc

now if every thing is set to auto how do I know what my starting point would be?

again thanks for the help

Archived