Corsair Community

vx450w

Therian86

I have owned this PSU for a few months now and we had a BBQ today so as I was installing a newly bought game I swore I smelt a bit of smoke from time to time so I thought nothing of it.

I booted up stalker and during the opening videos I heard a strange fan sound so I freaked out checked all my fans nothing was wrong so I narrowed it down to my PSU.

The sound it is making is odd....say I hit "esc" to bypass the vids...its sound changes WITH the different movies. Its like a high pitch sound.

Is the fan going bad or is the psu wanting to take a dump on me?

I take good care of my PC doing monthly air cleaning even cleaning my drives/psu. My biggest fear if its smoking some last thing I want is to damage my PC.

I just wanted to add I didn't see smoke. I caught a few sniffs of smoke but I never saw any coming from the PSU nor did I smell any in the PSU when I figured out it was making the strange sound.

Fan seems to be working on the PSU but its making a strange sound on the game.

I am going to install Bioshock and see if I get the strange sound with it too.

Sound is still there on all games now...whats worse is I keep smelling bit of smoke from time to time.

I think I will RMA it. Posted on a computer forum and they mentioned it could be on its way if so could destroy my system if it surges.

Archived